1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Stingray ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony h, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    Hi,

I'm thinking of picking up this 1978 Stingray, it had a new neck put on recently, due to warpage. I already have one of the newer Stingray's, but I'm keen to get this vintage one. I haven't check it out yet, any feedback on a vintage one vs my new one?

Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In my opinion a vintage stingray with a new neck loses half of its appeal.

3. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Amen

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    +1.

replace the word vintage with used IMHO

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    True. I hate new music man necks. Too clean. :p

6. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    It depends on the precise definition of the term "new neck"...

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Gotta Agree. If you are looking for a '78 neck to replace the "New" one than that would be a little different as well. A new neck on a vintage body does kind of defeat the whole vintage thing.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Owning both, I gotta say that the vintage necks are slimmer, and have a more rounded fretboard edge...I just love the feel and playability of my vintage necks.
    You'll get the vintage Ray sound, but you're not going to get that feel.
    I hope it's priced more like a used Ray than a vintage one because the collector value is gone.

9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Am I missing something here?:meh:

When has a neck being TOO clean been a drawback?:eyebrow:

Please elaborate...

10. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    thanks for the response, kinda feeling I'll pass on it

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It was a playful comment, based on the fact that I like the way musicman necks look when theyve been played for years. They get a nice darkened luster to them. Really emphasizes any figuring that may exist.

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Wow!

i need to lighten up on here...that one went right over my head! :D

13. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    Any idea what's a fair price to pay on a 78 All Orig Stingray, in what look's like great cond, on the body,
    thanks

14. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    $1500-$2500, depending on condition, color, whether the preamp is original etc

15. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    thanks man, was told it's all orig parts, it look's great cond

16. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    Aother question on the Vintage Ray with the new Ernie Ball (replaced Neck) Aart from it not being all orig Vintage, would the electronics sound better on this vintage? Than say a new Ernie Ball. The neck has been replaced, everything else is orig. I Just played on an all orig today for the 1st time, was cool, but twice as much $ as I can get this Vintage with a replaced neck for. Hard to decide

17. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    It's debatable...I'm sure it has been debated here a few times. IMO, the newer 'Rays are better. "Pre-EB" is not the same as "Pre-CBS" or "Pre-Gibson".

18. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    You should know that replacement necks from EBMM are not the same profile as pre-EBMM necks. In other words, if it is not a pre-Ernie Ball neck, it will not be the same thing. They do no make them the same way any more. I also believe that either the neck or the body requires some modification. The neck definitely needs to have the correct screw pattern drilled. Take that for good or bad, but the vintage value is mostly shot if that is what you were looking for. :(

19. If the neck was replaced with a new neck then the price should be more inline with a used bass rather than a vintage bass. There seems to be two reasons for the vintage appeal. The collectors want it to be all original and the new neck ruins that. Others, like myself, love the tone that you only get with old wood and a new neck ruins that. If you like the bass and the price is good for a used bass then go for it, but don't pay a vintage price.

20. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    thanks man!