1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage string sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Nov 4, 2010.

1. what is and isnt good for strings to sound old?

i know acidy hands are not good, but dirt is.

also should i just keep this 25 dollar string set on my bass (ernie ball hybrids) or buy the best bass strings i can?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Am I correct you want strings with a more broken in sound out of the box rather then the typically more trebly sound that new out of box strings have? If so then strings like rotosound would be good choice. Great roundwounds but not as bright as most stainless strings. Also rolling off basses tone control is passive or treble control if active can often compensate for new strings initial bright char.

$25 and under is good price range. However the exception would be for strings that will last at least twice as long. In which case strings costing in the $30 area would end up being cheaper. Since you dont replace them as often. There the initial cost is higher but the cost over time from less frequent replacement is lower.

Nickel strings are ussually less bright and warmer sounding then stainless.

And if your really wanting mellower sound then half round or flats would be worth concidering.

3. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    If you plan on leaving strings on a bass forever i would go with nickel strings. Steel tends to be brighter at first but they die and sound awful IMO. Nickel strings are warmer and i find much better sounding after a long time in use.

I would buy a really good pair of nickel strings and just leave them on. I bought a set of fender vintage nickel strings for like 20$ and plan to leave them on my Road Worn P for as long as possible.

4. Labella Deep Talkin' flats are the classic vintage bass sound - and last practically forever. You'll find the best prices at Imperial Guitars online. If they don't have what you want, call them and ask if they'll order for you. If you strike out, check juststrings.com.