Vintage style bridge options on new Standard P-Bass (MIM)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by timherremans, Feb 26, 2017.

1. timherremans

timherremans

Feb 22, 2017
    The Bass - Fender Standard Precision 2015
    I would like to replace the bridge with a period correct design from the 50's-60's. I have found three bridges, two fenders and one from Kluson. I searched google and this forum and could not find any evidence that these will be a drop in fit on my bass. Even if the holes match up, I wonder about the string spacing being a little too narrow.

I contacted Kluson today to see what they say.

Has anyone already done this already?

Thanks,

Tim

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

They're all the same bridge design with standard Fender screw spacing. They all are of the threaded barrel type which allows you to set the string spacing as you prefer.

Full size Fender string spacing is around 19mm. With this type of bridge if you go with lower string spacing, the saddles won't stay in place because of the string angled over to the anchor holes and you'll have to secure them by wrapping a zip tie around the intonation length screws to hold the saddles in place. The explanation may seem confusing to you until you actually see what I'm talking about.

But yes, they will install on a standard Fender bass without issue or modification. Take the cheapest one since they are all the same thing. But #2 IS NICKEl and the kluson seems to be nickel which would be my choice over chrome. Nickel tarnishes over time and gets that vintage patina. Chrome frosty tarnish: it just gets dirty.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. I like nickel hardware as well, but with your bass I'd get the chrome bridge as it'll match the rest of your hardware.

What 96tbird is saying is if you want narrow string spacing those type saddles will tend to move towards the outside of the bridge. In that case a zip tie put around all four intonation screws will keep them from spreading apart. In your case I doubt that will be a problem as the center of the saddles on the vintage bridge will be similar to your original bridge.

timherremans likes this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    timherremans, Warhawk and Lownote38 like this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    timherremans likes this.
  6. timherremans

timherremans

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks a lot of your replies. I bought the Fender Vintage 58' bridge for $30. I had looked for the saddles but didn't find them, then I read this post! ah well, ill keep the stock one with my other stock parts. :)

If anyone cares, ha..
    Vintage style bridge is chrome and saddles are nickel. I replaced the knobs with what I assume is a more proper vintage fender flat top knurled chrome ones. New Fender string tree in Nickel. Installed Hipshot HB-7 tuners in nickel and they're very nice, a lot heftier feeling versus stock. Aguilar AG 4P-60 pickups, emerson wiring(paper oil cap, cts 250k pots and switchcraft jack), copper shielded cavity and redid the two ground wires with vintage pushback wire. :hyper:

Cheers

Warhawk likes this.
  7. Hey if I'd known you were going to get all that nickel hardware would have said get the nickel bridge. LOL

Bet it looks great! Any chance of a photo or two?

timherremans likes this.
  8. timherremans

timherremans

Feb 22, 2017
    I wasn't sure if the Kluson would be a drop in fit, their email response was a direct copy/paste from the website "It fits most modern basses." After that response, I just went with Fender.

I'm still waiting for more parts to arrive but here's the progress from last night. I'll upload the finished result next week.

DSCF3670.jpg DSCF3671.jpg DSCF3674.jpg DSCF3675.jpg

Warhawk likes this.
  9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You went a little overboard on the copper but it looks good. I don't see a ground wire for the bridge either. I grounded my bridge by putting copper tape spanning the first to fifth screw hole overlapping the holes by about 1/8th inch towards the strap button. I then punched a hole where the ground wire comes out and pushed the ground wire through the hole. I tacked the wire to the copper tape at either end and to the back of a pot.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    timherremans likes this.
  10. Looks great to me and can't wait to see the bass all put together!

timherremans likes this.
  11. timherremans

timherremans

Feb 22, 2017
    Wiring is complete..pickup test seems good. Now just need the bridge to arrive.

DSCF3687.jpg DSCF3688.jpg DSCF3689.jpg

12. timherremans

timherremans

Feb 22, 2017
    Yeah, good catch. My grounds were not shown because I was waiting to receive the wire. I used a small piece of copper tape to hold the bridge end ground wire in place. I then scrapped off a tad bit of this copper to also have a direct contact with the raw ground metal wire to the bridge. I'll take your idea of running a copper strip to all 5 screws.

13. timherremans

timherremans

Feb 22, 2017
    Everything is complete. It really does feel and play like a higher cost Fender. The p-bass was fine before but now it just has an edge. These mods are optional of course. I will say that the aguilar pickups completely changed the guitar for the better from like an average sounding p-bass to like a high dollar p-bass. It's much more dynamic and clear, the tone in every way has been improved. I was not expecting such a difference.. so if you are thinking about one mod on a MIM, go with the pickups.

DSCF3889.jpg DSCF3890.jpg DSCF3886.jpg DSCF3887.jpg DSCF3888.jpg DSCF3885.jpg DSCF3891.jpg

aldaa likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021