1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage(style) pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Usul, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Do most of the big pup companys make a "vintage line" of pups?I was wondering how they differ in sound from the modern models i.e. what makes them sound vintage?Just wondering what a good vintage replacement for my P bass would be(If I ever want to go that route).

Thanks!

2. A good vintage P pup is the Fender 62...I hear good things of the Setmour Duncan Antiquities, as well.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bass Player rated the s. Duncan P pups in a "Product Profile." The Antiquity Precision came out on top for authentic sound. They said, "Could fool even the pickiest vintage snob with its early P-Bass sound and well-plucked look.

On a 5-point scale, they gave it a "5" for warmth, string balance, and sound. Output was a "3" and Clarity was a "4."

Next closest for old school sound was the SD Basslines Vintage P-Bass, "Subtle, old-style sound with caressing lows." It didn't get any "5's" but it is considerably less expensive than the Antiquity.

For the testing, they installed them on a `73 Precision and compared the sounds to a `59 Precision.

4. I have the Fender '62 P-Bass on my Warmoth. It sounds really great. I also have a Rio Grande '51 P-Bass pickup on it. That is a single coil type used on Fender P-Basses from 1951-1957. I don't like the way it sounds as much, but it's still pretty cool. It sounds good with fuzz.