1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Vintage Sunn cabinet, (1969-71), great condition,orig. speakers

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by OldSchool50, Jul 12, 2018.

1. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Price:
    $375
    UPDATED WITH NEW SPEAKER INFO: For sale is my early Sunn 2x15 cabinet (1969-70_ in great cosmetic condition, very clean with the original Sunn Transducer speakers that work fine, with no issues. This was previously used for bass with a vintage Ampeg V4b (100 watt, tube), Very good sound .

The cabinet is wired for 4 ohms. It's rock solid, with two 4-inch ports. The tolex and metal corners are very clean, with just a few small scratches. It has smooth-working casters and a custom vinyl cover in good condition. A bit of tarnish on the handle brackets. The grill cloth is unmolested and pretty clean. Missing two rubber feet on the horizontal bottom, which would be easy to replace if you prefer to set it on its side.

After research following a question about the speakers, I am pretty sure this is the Sorado cabinet, built for bass. The speakers shown here say Sunn Guitar Transducers.
    From the codes they appear to be 100-watt alnico Eminence drivers.
    One has two codes, 67-6933 (Eminence 1969)and 15faba8b under the sticker, which indicates 8 ohm bass.
    The other looks identical with code of 67-7035 (Eminence 1970) but different code under the sticker 81-0010. I have no reason to think they are not appropriate for bass.

Here is a relevant thread discussing the issue of Sunn labeling around that time. Transducers- Guitar & Bass
    Several posters said they had guitar transducers in their Sorado bass cabinets. So my best guess is these are original in a bass cabinet.

Sorry for all the detail but I want to report everything I've learned. All I know is these Sunn speakers sounded very good for bass in that cab, and they have shown no ill effects.
    The cabinet is Wired for 4 ohms. It's rock solid, with two 4-inch ports.

For anything over 100 watts I would consider some modern speakers. I've seen a few TB threads about replacement options for the original Sunns.

Asking $375. Only trade might be for a quality lightweight 1x15 bass cabinet, preferably with neo speaker. Sorry I won't ship but willing to meet up withing 50 miles in New England/NY area.

Front 2 last . Back. Back from top. With cover. Both speakers. Speaker 1. Speaker 2.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Nice cab!

There's a lot to be said for cab and amp covers to keep them nice!

I didn't know that Sunn cabs had ports and braces.

SirMjac28 and OldSchool50 like this.
  3. OldSchool50

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yes that’s the sorado. The 200 S is the same dimensions but different interior design I believe. It sounds pretty darn good with those original speakers. Thought about putting some light speakers in there but didn’t want to mess with the vintage vibe

4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Very cool!

GLWTS OS50! :thumbsup:

OldSchool50 likes this.
  5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Is this a bass cabinet? Just wondering because of the speakers

6. OldSchool50

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut

I wondered about that and your question prompted some research. To my knowledge, the cabinet was used previously with an Ampeg V4b and these are the original speakers in a Sorado Bass cabinet. I have played through the cab with the Ampeg at rehearsals, and the speakers sound very good. That led me to conclude they were appropriate for bass, maybe the way Jensen C12Ns were used in the Fender Bassmas Blackface and then prized for guitar. Others more knowledgeable may weigh in.
    So I thank you for the question and am updating the ad.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    GeneralElectric likes this.
  7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Do you know the ohm load of the cab? I have a Sunn Sentura which runs at 8 or 16 but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it now that I have an SVT-CL which needs a 4 ohm minimum load.

Edit: whoops just saw that it's 4 ohms. Let's see which head I keep!

8. OldSchool50

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yes, 4 ohm. I've been researching these speakers from the codes
    They appear to be 100 watt alnico Eminence drivers.
    One code on one is 67-6933 (Eminence 1969)and 15faba8b under the sticker, which indicates 8 ohm bass.
    The other looks identical with code of 67-7035 (Eminence 1970) but different code under the sticker 81-0010. I have no reason to think they are not appropriate for bass. I will take more pics of the speakers.

That said, I believe the SVT drives 300 watts, which would probably damage these originals. Lot's of decent replacements that could handle the load, though.