Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vintage sunn head and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 6, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok this store by me has a sunn tube head. 4 big tubes. tun-sol or something like that. it might be more than 4 can't remember. and a 2x15 cab.
    the head is $495. and so is the cab. but both are $800.
    the head sounded really good! and really loud!!!!
    now is there anything i should know about these heads?
    and will hartke xl cabs or my crate 410 do all right with it?
    it will get a nice overdrive sound if you want too.
    now is this head worth this in alright condition?
    not really intrested in the cab. i know where i can get a new sunn 2x15 cab for less than $400!

thanks
    steve

2. i played drumms in a band with Bruno Clarke the former bassist for sha na na.:rolleyes: i shouldn't be that hard on him thouhgh. he had a sun cab and head that he used at woodstock that was over at my house for like two years. it was real old obviously. it played real well. and i used it to play my bass through it all the time when he wasnt around. those heads are realy well made. but buyer beware make sure it is as you say " in pretty good cond." casue if it aint dont waist your time. but if it is id go for it man, i love sun amps they have a real distinct sound. but screw the cab go buy a new cab.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    If that's the newer Sunn head get it! It's a real good deal and Fender closed them down and now is using that same design with their name on it for alot more. I think they're also using Sunn's 2x15 and 4x10 cab too. Get it man.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it is an older sunn cab and head.
    but the head will clean up nice imo

steve

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Don't be so quick to knock the old Sunn 2x15! A lot of them had JBL's in 'em and will kick much rear...

What was the head? If it was a 2000s, those are the most desireable. Also, Tungsol 6550's are worth big $$$.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    How many watts would this be if it had 4 6550's?
    it has three tungsol tubes and one RCA tube.
    and how much are these tubes worth?

steve

7. Quad of 6550's will give somewhere between 100 Watts and 200 Watts, depending on the circuit. I'd guess about 140 Watts output.

Used good pair of Tung Sol's on eBay will get $100 or more.

If the RCA looks like the other Tung Sol's with the curvy glass shape, it is also a Tung Sol. If it is a 6550A with straight glass, then it is not a Tung Sol.

Chris

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Power I'm not sure of... My Sound City 200+ does 220 watts out of 4 6550's, but an old Model T will only do 130-150 or so... it depends on the amp. I'd bet it's good for at least 120 or so. Do you know if it's a 2000s?

Search on ebay for used Tungsol 6550 prices...

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the rca tube is curvy also. i just saw that they are the same.
    i don't know what model it was. but it was very very loud!!!

steve

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Chris, doesn't the coke bottle shape automatically mean they're KT88's? I always thought straight glass=6550, coke bottle=KT88.

Steve, buy it!!! If the cab has JBL's, buy that too!

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have a '69 Sunn Sorado and it is awesome. I would buy another in a heartbeat if it was stolen, or if I suddenly had lots of $. :)

12. Hrm...does anyone know anything about the B2000S? I see one listed on a local shop's site, and I'm intrigued.

13. Naw, man. As far as USA made goes, Curvy = 6550's, straight = 6550A. I'm sure there are exceptions. The original 6550 puts out slightly less power than the 6550A that came later.

Chris

14. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Thanks guys! Yeah Psycho, I'm dying to try a set of those KT90's out... I think I'm going to get some for my sound city after I "hiwattize" it. :)