1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Sunn Model-T: Does it work for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoss, Aug 15, 2007.

1. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    While I search for an SVT-II (non-pro) I'm curious as to how a vintage Sunn Model-T would work with bass. It seems that some bassists use this amp and we have one collecting dust in our practice space. Anyone have any input on this amp rocking the low-end?

2. I would be curious to know, so FIRE IT UP!

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If you mean the original Sunn (not Fender Sunn) then yes, as it was designed as a bass amp in the first place. Fender confused the issue when they did their version, reassigning it as a guitar amp.

4. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Yes, it's definitely an original Sunn. Here is a picture of exactly what the amp looks like:

cb56_1.

I'm on the Ampeg hunt, but seeing as how this thing is shaping up to be a nice bass amp I can have some fun with it in the meantime.

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Dude, fire that thing up and blast some walls down with it.

Or, I mean, if you don't want it, I'll take it, even if it is all dusty ;)

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I get first dibs, as I told him it is a bass amp! :) :hyper:

7. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Of the 2 I'd take the Model T.

8. that thing is pretty bitchin lookin

9. man_at_arms84

man_at_arms84

Jun 3, 2007
    What the f*ck?
    I dream of things like this happening to me.
    Collecting dust.
    Damn you to hell. In the most jealous way of course. :smug:
    let us know what it sounds like.
    if not for you im sure you can re sell it for gooood money.

10. Who on earth would leave a Sunn Model-T in a corner collecting dust?! I'll join the chior: Fire it up!!

11. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    Wish I still had my Model T.
    :meh:

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Forget the SVT-II and get an NV-610 for the T.:bassist:

13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Back when I was young (pre-dirt), I worked all summer to buy one of these. Are you ready for this; the cab it came with was a 4x15.:eek:

Sounded great, but portability was a bit of an issue. Plus, this was during the early '70's gas crunch era (can you say 2 hour wait for gas?). I took the passenger seat out of my Mercury Capri to make a space for that cab. It was kind of rough on the dating situation.

14. I had a early '70's Sunn Model T that I played through an Ampeg 'FlipTop' bottom. I used it for private parties and small clubs. Very warm tone and it worked great for small gigs. I never hooked it up to a larger speaker set-up and really pushed it.
    Good Luck To You!

15. op, make sure to update us when you get it broken in

16. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I used a Model-T back in '70 or '71, killer amp for bass!!! I played it through a Sunn 2-15" cabinet, and if my ,emory serves me correctly, I'd put it up against an SVT anyday...

I'll take it off your hands!!!

17. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    I love the sense of understatement here.

18. True...yet this one cracked me totally up.

God, I'd love to get my hands on a 4 x 15" cab, tho!!

19. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Back in the mid '70's I picked up a "T" along with an Acoustic Control 2 x 15 cab. It was the small cab they originally sold with the 150B head and measured just 36" x 24" and not to deep. Put EV's in the cab and it was a nice tight sound with my old P Bass ('61).

I had had an Ampeg V4B for awhile before I got the T and as I think back about it the 2 heads seemed to have about the same power, although I think the T is rated at 150W versus 100 for the Ampeg. However, the Ampeg just seemed to have a fatter tone.

Either way, crank 'er up and enjoy!!

20. stanner

stanner

Mar 31, 2005
    esseff,cali
    i probably shouldnt spreken upp here cause I guitar but-(tuned down to C at 65.41 hz.)
    i presently play thru 5(!) OLDE Sunn Model Ts and i use 2(!) of those Sunn 4X15s and the rest are Sunn 2X15s for me to shake my phisstt at the world...
    you wouldnt wanna be my neighbor or on the bill w/ moi...
    staninsanfran