1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage SVT 810 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvdb, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    Guys,

I've been looking through my Ampeg book, but I just can't find the answer I'm looking for. It's not a big deal but I'm just curious... Maybe one of you guys can help me out...

I own two 70's 8x10's by Ampeg. Both with towel bar and wheels, so not the really early ones. I took of the grill cloth and to my surprise I discovered that one had a sticker with an address in Elkhart and the other had the address stating Linden, NJ.

My book says that Ampeg moved the whole production process to Tennessee after 1973. So why does mine say Linden? Is it just the contact address?

Thanks in advance!

Jaap

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Magnavox bought Ampeg in 1971 and didn't move out of Linden until 1974. But the weird part is the towel bar cabs didn't start until 77. Surely they would have run out of Linden, NJ stickers by then.

Quite a puzzler...I'm stumped.

3. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    Thanks Rob... but it's getting stranger by the minute ;)

Ampeg dating site says:

Metal "a" logo 1968 - 1972
    Plastic "a" logo 1973 - 1979

The cab that has the Linden sticker has a metal "a" logo...

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    How can it be a towel bar cab then? It would have to be a straight backed cab.

5. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    I know... but it's a normal 810. Have them standing next to eachother and I see no differences...

The only differences are:

The Linden cab is less heavy... at least, it feels significantly lighter.

The Linden cab has a brighter tone.

6. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    towel bar cabs in 77 ????? uhh i think this is wrong .... from what i have read and seen , the towel bar cabs started in or around 74 .... i had a 75 that dated 75 with a towel bas and tilt back wheels .... anyone else wanna chime in on the towel bar controvercy ????

7. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    The book says... and I quote:

"By 1977 the cabinet no longer had the removable dolly, but had a pair of fixed wheels on which to tilt the cabinet back and move using the new 'towel bar' handle on the upper back edge".

I guess that is what Rob refers at. This is what I thought as well.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    People should really listen to Psycho when he says that although that book is the best reference on Ampeg available, a lot of its contents are far from fact.

My main gigging cab is a towel-bar '76.

9. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yea , i really would like to hear what jerrold teirs has to say on the subject , it was my understanding that it kinda went like this . blue graphics heads were made for 2 or 3 years matched with square back cabs and dollies , then black letter heads, same design as the blue graphics , were made until 74 also matched with square back cabs and dollies . then in 75 the sliver face white rocker swith heads (no toggle swithes on front) came out and so did the cabs with tilt back wheels and towel bar in the same year . like i said this is more based on independent study and non-ampeg published material . i think everyone on here really into ampeg knows some of their material has been less than accurate . and to the likes of it , if tilt backs started in 77 then there were only 3 years of them produced . there are far less square backs out there than 70's era tilt backs . the mti era cabs looked different and i think this was when they used the two spring loaded handles ... what about it guys . anyone got anything more solid . like i said mine isnt based on ampeg published material ... jerrold ????

10. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I have the book as well, and in the same paragraph it states that around '72 they switched to Eminence speakers. I am buying a straight back cab this week that has CTS's with a date stamp of '73.

I love the book, but I think there must be some small errors in it obviously. I would guess that the towel bar version arrived in '75 as well with the new look SVT's.

Anyone have or seen any Altec loaded 8x10's?

11. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    ive had 4 or 5 older 70's era svt 810 cabs , none of the speakers ive seen personally were labeled altec like the 15's i had in my v4bh cab . i have however had two different types of square magnets in my older ones . my square back has magnets that look like its sealed up with epoxy inside the metal magnet housing , while my 75 had bolt on square magnets ...

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Just for the record, I do NOT know this one. It's before my involvement..................

But I don't think the book is 100%, I found some wrong stuff in it also. Good thing I got my copy free!

13. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Jerrold you are a real trooper for showing up here and allowing yourself to be the expert, or shot down as the case may be.
    Thanks for all your input! It is appreciated.

14. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    How do you check which kind of speakers you have?

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Pull them and check the codes. If you Google "speaker codes," you'll get a great explanation of the codes and how to interpret them. For example, Eminence is 67, CTS is 137, etc.

16. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006

I'm really sorry, but 'pull them'? Can I just pull them out of the cab? Or do I have to screw it loose?

17. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    you are joking right ???!!??? he means unscrew them and pullem out .....

18. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I think that he is asking whether they are front or rear mounted.

19. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    And because it's quite a collection of screws I'm wondering if this is the only way to define which speakers my cabs have...

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you have to open the cabinet back (and you probably do) invest in a variable speed reversible electric drill and some phillips screwdriver bits for it. Your wrists will thank you.