Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage SVT at H.C.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

The ad is within a week old and they want $750. Harmony Central also lists a Mesa 400+ for $950.

I hear from time to time that TBers are looking for vintage SVTs, but can't find them.

I see them on H.C. very frequently.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Internet transactions get a little bit complicated when dealing with this sort of equipment. I'd only buy a vintage SVT locally, due to the massive costs and dangers of shipping. I'd also have to inspect and play through it first, since vintage gear is likely to have accumulated various flaws and technical problems over the years. I'm less paranoid about buying newer, trendier secondhand equipment, because I have a fairly good idea of what to expect from the item description. "Vintage '70s SVT, excellent condition" on the other hand, could mean "we dropped it out of a speeding truck four or five times, but at least the faceplate is still legible."

3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Yes, I have a funny story about the SVT head.I was going to buy it off the guy until the next day he told me that someone local might buy it from him (no story about some local guy when I originally called him). Mind you that we had already started to make plans for me to buy it. We even exchanged address' and I had money on hand to over night to him because he just had to have the money right now and couldn't wait for c.o.d to come in. Then later on that day he says that he's going to hold off on the deal altogether because his "favorite bassplayer from his favorite band" had e-mailed him and was going to "beg" his record company for the money to buy it. So basically the guy flaked on the deal because someone he was starry eyed over game him a call and this guy didn't even have the money yet. He was going to have to ask his record company for the money. What ever happened to him needing the money a.s.a.p. I don't know. Basically, he promised to sell it to me then promised it to a local guy and then promised it to someone else.So this is just a heads up to anyone thinking to contacting him because this guy is very unprofessional in his dealings. In fact, I have never had someone be so flakey to me in buying over the net.

4. Rockbobmel

I bought mine over the net. The transaction was very good, and the amp shipped fine. The tubes were wrapped and numbered. I had several problems with it and finally got it to someone who knows them well enough. It is fixed right now. I have $1,050. into it.

I also bought my Xwire on the net.
    You MUST thoroughly check the guy out, (Ebay profile, Etc.) Yes, there is a risk, but you may use an escrow service also.
    You MUST keep your $#!+ detector on at all times.

5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    To be completely specific I was talking about the guy who had his SVT head listed for $750 on Harmony Central this past week.

6. Thanks RockBobby for remembering and being so alert. I'm sure it makes you wonder what all the fuss is about amongst us old SVTers not able to locate one when you see listings for them every other day. What fykozonisz said is true and very typical as I had the exact same experience with that exact same HC lister. I thoroughly investigate all SVT listings because I'm on the hunt for as many as I can buy. Unscrupulous sellers get jittery when they learn you want to pick up in person and come up with the wildest excuses. So far, in my experience, 9 out of 10 "deals" have been "shady".

7. Rockbobmel

The transaction I did was smooth in every respect right from the start. He have me his home, work, and cell#s, home address, talked to me on the phone.
    One inconsistancy, and I'm outta there.
    In Massacusetts, there is a paper "WantAdvertiser" that has everything in it. It's area is 100 miles away, or I'd spend my Sundays checking out gear.