1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage SVT / B25B owners - a little help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I need a favor from anyone with '69 - '78 heads. Look at one or more of the metal cord wraps that your power cord loops around, and tell me what, if any, numbers are stamped on them. I never noticed it before, but my '73 SVT as well as my '71 B25B have a number on them. Thanks. :cool:

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There are no numbers on my 71 SVT cord wraps.

I'm thinking that I've never seen numbers on blueline SVT models. There are variations as well. On some models the metal tabs are welded on, on other models they are attached with screws the (bow tie) clutch type screws. I've never found a source for the size of clutch screws used on these amps.

3. Neither my B25 or SVT has numbers on the cord wraps.

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Is it an amp serial number (same as what is stamped on the chassis) or a part number?

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Could be that the number is on the attached (screwed or welded) side on some of yours. I'd never noticed these before, but both of my Ampegs referenced above have them.

The SVT numbers are all near identical. Starting with the back panel number 732323-1, chassis number of the front 732325-1 and cord wrap number 732322-1. The B25B, I don't have a serial number handy, but it's a '70-'72, I think. Its cord wrap number is 732306-1.

Lots of reasons to see what others have and on what years, but the biggest one for me right now is that I'm checking into getting some wraps made for a '69/'70 SVT I have that's missing both wraps. If they all had similar numbers, I could have one put in, I think? :cool:

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The cord wraps with the numbers on them sound way better. ;)

7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    There are no numbers on mine in the welded side. You can see through holes of the screen. The earliest ones had two wraps attached with screws. I've seen four wrap ones screwed on. Then I've seen four wrap welded. Ampeg has a way of being all over the place when it comes to variations.

I would say no stamped numbers on your model.

8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You might want to ask your question here. At least you can identify who has an early model.

9. peter6toy

peter6toy

Oct 14, 2005
    On my '74 SVT there's a number, check picture. But I do not have a 'lower black backplate', that one is missing. So can not check my serialnumber ...

[​IMG]

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I know my 74 SVT has numbers stamped on the cords wraps. Same codes as are stamped on the rest of the parts i believe. Can't be sure, the amp isn't here with me.

11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The serial number is usually stamped on the chassis. There is a rectangular cutout on the bottom back plate (repro available at fliptops.net BTW), so you can see the serial number when it is in place. So check the back of the chassis, to the lower right of the standby switch, and look for a stamped number.

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Based on input, looks like many had the same number, or close to the same number to each other, and possibly to the frame number as well. Very interesting.