1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage SVT cab...Date help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themacinator, Oct 8, 2009.

1. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    So here is the deal. I just bought this squareback 8x10 cab. on the plate on the back there is no serial number.

How can I tell the date on this? I looked at pulling one of the drivers and there are some screwy heads on the screws. Like some box or rectangle and I don't have a bit that will remove them.

Cab, SansAmp 21 pre-amp, and Samick SPW-4000 amp with the rack was $500. I hope I got a good deal here.

DSCF6227.

DSCF6228.

2. TwoGearGeeks

TwoGearGeeks

Sep 25, 2009
    Seattle
    I think Ampeg started the tilt-back in 1973. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but the full flatback cab was only made for a few years.

The best way to date the cab is to look for the date codes on the back of a speaker or two. I think CTS is "137" and the date code should look something like "137 135," which would mean CTS manufactured in the 35th week (the "35") of 1971 (the "1").

The weird-head screw is called a clutch-head. You can find a screwdriver at your local hardware store.

Finally, you got an excellent deal!

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you got a great deal. those cabs are awesome. IIRC i think that '73 was the last year for the straightback. fliptops.net has the special clutch screwdriver if you can't find one locally. you can see it here.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yup, good deal. I paid $400 for mine from my drummer who bought it for $250 a few years ago. That and mine isn't in as good shape (tolex tears, re-clothed grill) and didn't come with the cart.

Good score man, best of luck with it, I love this cab.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    so... how does your $500 rig sound ? That is a freakin' steal if it isn't whipped...

6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Real good deal. With the clutch head screws, good chance the speakers are originals. As others have suggested, the switch from square back to slant back was in 1973. I have one of each, with just a few weeks difference in the date codes on the original speakers, and they are both '73s. There are those that swear by the square backs over any other design. :cool:

7. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    So I found a clutch head bit at a local auto parts store...pulled on of the drivers.

Code shows "137 7219" So I am guessing CTS and made the 21st month of 1972?

Here is a pic of the code on the back of the driver.

DSCF6230.

As for the sound it's clean, warm, no rattles, buzzes...just perfect...and of course...LOUD!

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    A correction for you. The 19 is the week of production, putting it around May or so of '71. I also note that it still has the detachable dolly. Again, great deal! :hyper:

9. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    Thanks, quick question...May '72 or '71?

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    '72.

11. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    Awesome! I felt like I had found a real gem. It's just beautiful. Got a gig in three weeks and I just can't wait to hear it in the live setting.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They don't take nearly the amount of power as current 810's (Ampeg used to say 250w but I think they can take at least 300w easily), but they sound a million times better. I love my straightback 810. By far it's the best sounding 810 setup I've ever used. Now all you have to do is get the matching head :bassist:

13. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    And the other matching cabinet, BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    My bad, Bob. Get the second cab and stand it vertically on top of the first one. You get a 9 ft stack that rocks! I'll do that one d...eh, who am I kidding? I won't. I'm not destined for greatness.

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have to say I've really fallen in love with the sound of mine, there is something there that no other cab I've played can really reproduce. The high-end roll off is probably enough to make BFM crap a brick, but I really like that, especially when using all the effects that I use. Takes the high-end bite out of using overdrive or octaves or overdriven octaves and makes them wonderfully smooth sounding. I've been using a friends svt-4pro/810E set up and one of the things I really noticed is that no matter how I eq the head, I can't get that same smooth sound out of the modern cab.

The real problem I foresee, is what happens a few years from now? What if a speaker goes down? Jimmy I know you've been having re-cone issues, and that's part of what's got me thinking. IS there anything out there that can reliably mimic the sound of this cab?

16. i fell in love with my straight back too! not so much the bent back my straight back is giving me but the sounds is unbelievable. i don't go through the PA when i use it. i've been told by musician friends that you can feel you lungs rumble when i play my 6jm's b string!!!

when i bought mine i had some dust covers torn o i buzzed a bit, i fixed and thought it was still buzzing. then i saw the white dust falling from the ceiling tiles!

17. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    I love all the comments about my new rig. I sat in the garage and knocked back a six pack last night playing it.

Yeah man...sights are so set now on the full set up. SVT amp (vintage of course) and another straightback cab.

MAN!!!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Corey, I have heard of two possible solutions but never tried either...Weber Speakers makes an alnico CTS clone that is supposed to sound identical (although it doesn't look identical) for $100. And the Jensen Mod 10-50 at 32 ohms, while not a clone by any means, is well-liked by a couple SVT owners on here and has similar freq range specs...that's only $50. But if I had to do it over again, I'd still recone.

The good news, though, is as long as you keep the cones out of extreme weather and don't try to kill babies with volume, there's no reason that those cones shouldn't outlast you.