1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage SVT Fan Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rigatti, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rigatti

Rigatti

Jan 20, 2012
    I bought a blue line SVT this summer (hooray!) that I haven't really been playing recently because the fan makes nearly as much noise as the amp. So I bought a replacement from Fliptops and started trying to install it myself.

Here's the pathetic part - I can't even get the rear grill off. I took out the Phillips screws on the grill itself but it looks like the grill is also secured by the bottom black panel, which is possibly held on by these hex-type screws that I can't get to turn. They're old and basically have nothing to grab on to. Do I even have to remove these or is there something I am completely missing here?

Picture is attached. Thanks for any help with my ignorance here.

Attached Files:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    those screws are just 1/4" hex head self tapping sheet metal screws that you remove with a 1/4" socket wrench or a nut driver.

i replaced them with new ones on mine:

69svt-rear.

3. Rigatti

Rigatti

Jan 20, 2012
    Ah, thanks - that was much less difficult than I was making it. I must have tried every size socket and when I tried 1/4" previously, it was on the screw that was totally stripped, so I gave up on it.

Anyway, I managed to get the grill off and the new fan installed. Looking forward to hearing this bad boy again!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No doubt! Have fun!

5. Rigatti

Rigatti

Jan 20, 2012
    One last thing! What kind of connection is this on the cord to the old fan? Picture is attached.

Can I just splice it onto the cord for the new fan or should I buy one from somewhere?

Attached Files:

6. We call that a Molex connector in the automotive world.

If your new fan isn't so endowed, you can just whack it off and splice it together. I'd at least use shielded spade or bullet connectors though.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, you should be able to splice the new fan's wire and the old plug together.

...oh, and I like your mousepad btw. I can't wait for Heart of the Swarm!! :hyper:

8. Rigatti

Rigatti

Jan 20, 2012
    I'm not that handy with anything so I ended up just heading to Radioshack and getting some quick disconnects to splice the old plug on the new fan's wire. The hard part was getting to the Radioshack - apparently their address listings for stores on their website are completely wrong.

As for the mousepad, yeah, I can't wait for Heart of the Swarm. Currently I'm real excited for Diablo, but that seems to get delayed every time I check for a release date. :bawl: