1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage SVT- Not sure what I've gotten into

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    All I know is that Gregg Hopkins and Bill Moore spent a TON of time researching for the book, and both are genuinely good guys. Perhaps I mis-paraphrased the statement:

"Removable dollies are included with the cabinets. By 1977, the cabinet no longer has the removeable dollies but has a pair of fixed wheels to tilt the cabinet back while navigating the amp using the new "towel bar." The CTS speakers give way to Eminence drivers around 1972. In 1980, Ampeg designers install new speakers which give the cabinet a power handling rating of 350 watts. This allows the player to use one cabinet instead of two with an SVT head."

So what's said is that by 1977, the dollie-style cabs are no longer available. NOT that all cabs are rectangular prior to 1977. My fault.

2. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Since you mention what good guys they are and how much time they spent on it,Im going to give you the other side of the coin.
    As far as spending alot of time researching it,they spent all of ONE afternoon with Jesse Oliver.
    Who in case you dont know was the VP of Ampeg,and is the patent holder on the fliptops(B-15 etc)
    When they were at Jesses,they called me to join them for lunch.I could not.
    They then asked if they could photograph a couple of my amps for the book.To which I said "certainly".
    I said "All I want is credit as the owner in the book,and a free copy"To which they agreed.
    Fastfoward to when the book comes out.
    I get no copy,no thank you letter,zilch.
    I then speak to another friend of mine who has authored books on two other major brands of instruments,and regularly writes articles for THEE major collector guitar magazine.And I relay to him the story.
    He tells me "your not the only one,with a situation like that""others had similar situations with them"
    And we go on to discuss certain inacurracies in the book.
    Which he tells me about.I didnt buy a copy because Im supposed to be getting a free one.
    My free copy never materializes.My "situation"is as follows:
    I talk to the authors by phone and they say they "dont have any memory of having that conversation"or "Making that promise"
    Blatant lies.
    These are good guys?

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Is there a foolproof way of verifying the power handling? I have the codes for my squaremag eminence drivers at home... I thought the codes only told you manufacturer and date?

I also thought that they didn't really have the technology to build high wattage speakers back then... hence the 30 watt speakers?

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey SuperDuck, have I mentioned how much I hate you? You steal my bands and get free SVTs -- you suck!

;) ;) ;)

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Ah... some good stuff! What kind of speakers are in your cabs? Round-magnet eminences? Or CTS? And your three cabs are all tilt-back style?

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this! I'll get ahold of eminence with my codes and see what they can tell me. If you do the same, we should reconvene with our info...

I'd like to get a list going with all the types of speakers used and what the ratings were.

6. The SVT that I got has the attached speaker cord still. Does that make a difference?

Does anybody have any advice on how to get these speakers out? They aren't in with normal screws. They're some kind of weird oval shaped screwhead...

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Is that the four prong XLR cable? Check PBG's earlier post on that.

The weird screws are called 'clutch' head screws. Ampeg used lots of them. You can get a clutch head screwdriver at any good tool store.

9. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    So what kind of speakers are they then???
    Either one of those sets of numbers could be the EIA code, but none of them match with a manufacturer.

5810144 44th week of '71?
    6910001 1st week of '70?
    187-6921 21st week of '69?

391 = Altec, maybe that screwy 6 which might be a 5 is really a 3?

ACK! Maybe I shouldve kept my mouth shut! :D

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Sweet! Do you have a digital camera? :)

11. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Can't argue with that!

You want to get ahold of CTS and see what you can find out about the power handling of those suckers? I'll do the same for my drivers...

12. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  13. Yeah, it's the 4 pin XLR plug. I don't think I'll be pulling those speakers out without the proper screwdriver. I dropped some pics to you guys a little bit earlier of the head. I killed the batteries in my camera though. I'll send out some more if you'd like later. Tell me where to put the camera to get the pics that would help you guys out.

14. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    THAT'S THE BEST ANSWER I'VE EVER HAD! i may just jump in front of a bullet for you some day. :D thank you.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh so now they're YOUR bands??? I'm going to edit every post you make in our forum to say how much you admire me, and my tube-ness.

;):D

16. I began playing bass with a blackface Fender Dual Showman with 2-15in JBL D-130s. When the music got so loud, I switched to an SVT (6146 tubes) with 2 cabinets. When my back gave out, I went to a preamp and solid state power amplifier. Each time I changed, I had to re-define my sound. Trying to get back to a more original sound, I am now using an alembic F2B preamp with a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp. Only 200 watts, but not as heavy as an SVT AND it sounds pretty close to an old Fender Showman. By the way, I'm looking for an old blackface Showman.

Gale

17. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Hey Psycho,
    I'd heard back from Charlotte at Eminence - she told me my square magnet eminence speakers have 2" voice coils and are rated at 150WRMS! The new speakers are only rated at 100!?! Does this sound right?

18. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    on a related subject.....i have a 1973 V4-B cab, for sale, btw. its a w-bin, but the screws in the wood plates over the speakers are the same as youre describing. i had no trouble taking them out with a regular phillips head. make sure you use on with a carbon tip(or whatever they are, snap-on makes some very nice ones) and not ones with just the metal, because they WILL destroy your screwdriver. also, a screwdriver with a long shaft is much better, i used a 12 inch driver. more torque i suppose? my cab is a tiltback, with the "towel bar handle", and it also has the 4-pin DIN connector. like i said before, the cab was made in 73, if i read the serial right, so maybe this will help you guys out with some of your cab dating problems? i assume ampeg would have used similar construction techniques across the board, it makes a lot of sense to do so in a manufacturing situation as such.

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well, Borealis could have been my band!

;) ;) :D

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hehe, yeah, but then you would have had to deal with the guitar player. No one should have to be subjected to that. :D :D

BTW: Did you notice our scales arrived? I guess now we count... :D