Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage SVT preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Ive never seen anything like that, but, i would buy it now for sure! just looking at the guys feedback, and thats a nice price if its working :)

2. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I have seen a couple just preamps on ebay before but I am pretty sure they are still tube or it would be called the sbt or whatever. I think that is a pretty steep price though...

3. Having a re-read of that . . . is it solid state ? hmmmm

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I got excited too, but it IS solid-state. It might sound like an SVT preamp as the seller claims, but I'm not paying that much dough for what it is in that condition. Besides, a lot of SVT preamps are noisy as hell IME.

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    +1

the SBT was originally sold paired up with a powered speaker cab, IOW, the power amp was inside the cab not the head. i doubt it sounds just like the tube version, but since that is a subjective observation, i also would probably make that statement if i was trying to sell one :)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Maybe I'm seeing things but doesn't it say SBT underneath the white rectangle on the back?

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

and the SBT cab was almost identical to the 2000S, came loaded with Altecs (typically) and was in its time, one heck of a set up. Most of them were sold as two cab set ups. 120watts RMS per cab if memory serves.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.