Vintage SVT Rig, Any Comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 22, 2000.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just bought (through two different sources) what appears to be a first year SVT (says made in NJ on the back, no magnavox or selmer) with a warning about hearing damage. Recent retubing with 6550's. Also picked up a cab that has been re-upholstered but also appears to have the original CTS speakers and is from the very early years, possibly even '69. Would love to hear comments from bassists who use similar rigs. Thanks!
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Reupholstered cabinet? Is that an Ampeg? It sounds like my Kustom 2x15: black naugahyde (?) tuck-and-roll. Mine has CTS drivers, too. It's a nice-sounding cabinet for its size, but it's 8 ohms. I'd use it with my more powerful heads now, but I doubt it will take much more than 200 watts continuously. I bought it used around '73, so it may be '69 vintage.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, Mikey, it's an Ampeg SVT cab, awright. Somebody covered the original tolex with carpet, that's all. Those Kustom's are cool, too.
  4. The SVT is the king of bass tone and also a great torturer of bass players, if you are willing to hump that bad boy around more power to you. I hope you have it thouroughly checked out and the tubes biased before any serious gigging, some of those old filter caps are really getting leaky.
  5. moss

Dec 24, 2000
    the first bass head i ever bought was an old svt and i think they are the best sounding things for rock type stuff. i have one like yours. you should get it checked out if you haven't. i seem to blow a tube or something every six months or so, but it's always a cheap fix. just don't throw out your back.
  6. The SVT eats all other bass amps!!! The oldies need a bit of TLC and they're heavier than F*** but the tone is worth it! Mine's a 76 and I wouldn't part with it for anything! One thing to remember if you own an SVT: Lift with your legs!:D
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, this one's been checked out thoroughly and recently re-tubed. I've been gigging with a Classic (no comparison, tone-wise with the old one, of course) for a few years. Back killers but bass players sometimes have to suffer for the ultimate tone. I always lift with my legs and I actually consider loading-in/out with this rig to be a sporting event--weight lifting, as it were!