1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage SVT Road Case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgrotto, May 4, 2006.

1. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Could anyone recommend a good place to get a road case for a vintage SVT? I've found some places online but they all seem to only stock cases for contemporary SVTs. I'd be open to having someone custom make one, but it seems a little strange that I can't find a single place that stocks them. Thanks.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    yo joe. I got a case for my SVT CL on ebay. Then I got my vintage SVT. The amps are pretty much the same size, but the vintage has the thing you wrap the cord around sticking out the back. I just took a razor blade to the foam and cut a space for it. But I am positive there are cases available specifically for vintage SVTs.

The amp is already heavy and I will never be putting this on an airplane, so I opted for a lighter, but sturdy case. You do not want a case like THIS. Since all the weight would rest on these tiny little clasps & the handles look flimsy. But you probably want one where the amp rests on the "lid" and you lift the box off. Otherwise you have to lift your amp out of the box every time.

I am scrolling through ebay for you right now to see if I can find the place I got mine.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Huh, sorry man. That company is MIA & I accidently deleted my saved emails from them. Well at least I bumped your thread :meh:

4. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Awesome. I shoulda just e-mailed you. But this is probably good for the public record...

For some reason I always assumed that the CL wasn't as big. You know what they say about assumptions, though.

I'll measure the head tonight and repost the dimensions here. Again, good for the public record.

Thanks for the info.

5. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    Bass Emporium has a '70 SVT and case for sale on consignment (not me). I bet you could get them to sell the case by itself if you wanted to buy used. I ended up doing that when I sold my SVT and case. I had to break them up to sell them. http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=USED70SVTANDCASE

6. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    BTW, mine similar to the bass emporium one and is was so sturdy and there was never any doubt that the latches would hold when carrying it.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
  8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    D@mn thats a pretty good price for an SVT in that condition AND the case. Buy 'em both Joe!

9. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I haven't played through that SVT, but I did buy the Berg NV610 that came in with the SVT. It turns out some guy bought the SVT and NV610 for his daughter's bass playing boyfriend. The kids broke up so he is selling the rig. That was a lucky kid because I'm sure the head sounds gret and my NV610 is amazing. I had a 1970 SVT just like that. It was soooooooo sweet but just too heavy for me at the time.

10. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Kickass. Angstrom Cases has just started manufacturing a 70s SVT specific case. Their eBay home page is here and the lift off style is here. It's a little pricey with the "Buy It Now" at $179, but it looks solid as hell.

They've listed the dimensions of a 70s SVT at 24 3/8" (W) x 14 1/2" (D) x 11 1/2" (H).

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA

BINGO!

Thats where i got my case. I paid $169 few years back. I wouldnt put this case on an airplane and let the baggage handlers have their way, but thats a moot point since the baggage limit is 70 lbs on most flights. However, it is solid & protects pretty well for everyday banging around. If you want a more heavy duty care it will be twice the price & weigh twice as much too.

12. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Suite. First a new set of tubes and some time on the bench. Then the case. My girlfriend won't share the bed with me and my SVT anymore. Too bad for her.