Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage SVT Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tapp, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Well, I bit the bullet and became a new member of the "vintage SVT" club. Scored a '71 or so SVT head with it's original 8-10 cab; with the original speakers.

Now, I've got to give the head some TLC; the volume is way low esp on Channel 1. I'm planning a total recap job and at least retube the 6550's since there's a mismatch of tube types and they look old (looks like one KT88 in there).

I've been told by a reputable tech that his opinion is to change all of the 12DW7's for 12AX7's (the mod listed in Tube Amp Book).

Has anyone compared the difference between these tube types; and what are your opinions?? I consider it because I have plenty of AX7 types but no DW7's in my tube stash.

Also, has anyone had any experience with Ei 12DW7's (current production)?

Thanks,

tapp

2. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
  3. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
  4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Thanks Psycho and Bassr64! Yeah PBG I think I remember you saying that the current production DW7's are not up to snuff.

I'm hoping most of the ones in there now (could be originals) still have enough life left in them. I'll check out the JJ's or try to find a good deal on some NOS.

Tapp