1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage synth repair: who/where?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassteban, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I have a Kawai K3 hybrid synth that needs work; does anyone heer know of a trustworthy repairperson/place/shop in the Sacramento area?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's been a while since I've heard a peep from any of my vintage synth groups, but I'll see if there's any useful info I can roust from them.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    The only one I know is in Ohio.
    Wes Taggart at Analogics

http://www.analogics.org

4. Thank you both. :)

5. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Ed Miller in Hollywood, he is the very best!

6. I appreciate all input, but this thing is HEAVY & I really don't want to ship outside of driving range(Sacramento). :)

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    God, an old synth has to be one of the hardest things to fix like! :meh:

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I used to know a couple guys in San Francisco who could do it, if you were willing to drive up there.

The K3 was a cool keyboard, I liked it. Sure, it quickly became obsolete, but I recall it having a fatter, darker, dirtier tone than some of the other hybrid keyboards of the day.

9. :ninja:
    PMing...

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  11. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Rainbow Electronics in Sacramento does a lot of work on vintage gear. John McCormack there might be able to service your synth.

13. Bumpin this up; I've contacted Winston's suggestion, haven't heard back. Also looking into Rainbow in Sac; any others I should be aware of?

14. I still haven't done the repairs- I treid to get w/a guy in San Jose but it seems that whenever I can afford to plunk down the money and have the free time available for the medium-sized road trip, the dude's all booked up. I've also been considering the more pricey but closer(Rainbow, Sacramento)option, but I'm wondering if there are any new developments in this area.

15. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi Steve, I've seen www.synthgeeks.com from Oakland posting on the East Bay Craigslist in recent months. Don't know anything about them, but might be worth a shot.

16. Hey- thanks, Winston. I've emailed those guys about a synth they had FS; I may yet discuss repairs w/them as well. BTW, I got aholld of the guy who has the Stammie in your Avatar; he's NOT interested in selling. :( ~sigh~ :D

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just realized John McCormack was one of the guys I was thinking of! I couldn't remember his name before. The other guy I was thinking of was JBOT (Jay), but his site doesn't have any useful info about repair work anymore. http://www.capturedbyrobots.com/index.htm

18. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Funny, I actually went to music school (DePaul U) with the guy who does Captured By Robots--he's an excellent bassist.

19. Well, I finally went to Rainbow in Sac. Didn't see John, though I talked to him on the phone. Dropped off a Roland JX8P+PG800 and an Ensoniq ESQ-1; they said they'd call w/a diagnosis in about two weeks. Maybe by then I'll have a stand. :cool:

20. Rainbow called last night- the synths should be ready in a couple of days. :hyper: