Vintage tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bugbass, Aug 30, 2004.

1. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    I want a really fat vintage-like tone, 5 strings and and not to heavy. Price-range up to 3000. music-style: funk/soul. lAny suggestions?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Reverend R5L. Buy one now before they stop making them, though!!!!
  3. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Used Sadowsky or Mike Lull, perhaps?
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Lakland Joe Osborne. They've got Lindy Fralin pickups and play amazingly well. Those guys at the Lakland factory are second-to-none, when it comes to setups and customer service!
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Lull P-5
    Reverend BH-5
  6. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'd have to cast another vote for the Lakland JO5 (maybe even the Skyline model). I've been very happy with mine and it nails the vintage Fender vibe quite well.

7. ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    I'd look for a lighter weight Sadowsky Metro on Roger's site. I'd recommend the "Vintage Tone Control" option, best $150 bucks I've ever spent. I can get just about any tone I want with this bass, any warm tone that is. If you want a sterile cutting my used You won't find a better bang for the buck than the Metro. Good luck on your search or just listen to my advice and start playing.

Kev :bassist:
  8. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Another vote for the Lakland Joe Osborne. Amazing bass with a great vintage tone. I keep an old worn set of DR Sunbeams on mine, and it just nails that old school sound.
  9. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Lull. Nails the vintage thing perfectly.
  10. I'd look into a Mike Lull, you can get a jazz, P or PJ

the PJ 5 is a very sweet old school thump machine
  11. boo

Oct 12, 2002