1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage tones from Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassaroo, May 11, 2006.

1. bassaroo

bassaroo

Dec 9, 2005
    I've got a Fender J and P, both of which I love, and practice at home on my little GK112 which is made for passive upright basses, but I'm having trouble getting them to sound right with my Eden amplification. I've got the WT 800 and I use the 210 XLT, but I don't seem to be able to dial in the right vintage tones. I guess it's just a mismatch, but is it possible that some settings on the Eden will actually get that vintage sound? Every time I turn the dials, it just seems to get a different variation of 'modern' to me, and I can't get the real sound of the bass.

I can't afford another amp now, just trying to make do with the Eden - any help would be appreciated!

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yea, Edens sound pretty modern, but there are a few things you can do.

Enhance: all the way off.

Horn on the cab: no more than 25% up.

Cut the highs, boost the upper mids, boost the bass, but not LOW bass, midbass.

You should be able to get what you want if you spend enough time with the preamp.

Or get a sansamp BDDI to stick in front.
    :bassist:

3. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    God don't listen to pickles, unless you're looking for the anti vintage tone.

100HZ +2-6db.
    400-600HZ -6db
    2KHZ to taste.

enhance off.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Excuse me? I said to boost high mids (2k would be the upper end of that range) and midbass (100hz is midbass) while turning enhance off. You said exactly the same thing I did :eyebrow:

5. And leave your input gain all the way up, especially with your passive instruments. Keep that little green light a-flashin'.

And then, use some caution - if your WT800 is like my WT600, you won't be able to turn the master up too far before you hit full power and clip.

ken

6. bassaroo

bassaroo

Dec 9, 2005
    Thank you guys: pickles, jz0h4d and Ken FenderJazz - I appreciate the help. I'm gonna give these settings a try when I get home!

Thanks again!