Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Traynor...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Jan 20, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    1961 YBA1 and YBX15 for $350 Canadian. Is this a good deal, cosmetically the amp looks great and just needs a cleaning, internally it needs to be retubed, possibly recapped and needs a few new pots. The cab sounds great but looks to have either very old or even factory speakers in it.

I tried the amp a few weeks ago with my passive 4 string and loved the tone I was getting but found the tone controls to unresponsive to fine tune it. Played my active 5 string through it today and was blown away, warmest roundest bass tone I've heard in a very long time.

I need to go back once more to make my final decision because there were lessons going on and I couldn't run it to loud to test the low B at a high volume. If it handles the B well I'm gonna scoop the thing up and restore it, this works perfectly as I am most likely leaving my current band and don't need the 800 watt stack anymore.

What's everyone think?

2. The first YBA-1 amps were made in '66, so apart from the date being a bit off it's not a bad price. They're not overly powerful, but if you dig the tone go for it!

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    HMMMM, I thought the serial number said 61, I must have read it wrong...

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Hey oddio -- how would you say they rate output wise as compared to solid state amps? I'm playing through an SWR 350 right now, and am thinking of chaning over to a tube head. I stumbled across these Traynor YBA 1s, but have no gut feel for whether they would still give me enough output. Is that something you might have an opinion about? As far as cabs, I'm using a GK backline 4x10 and an SWR WM 1x15.

cheers!

ltt

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Best I recall the YBA-1 is a 40 to 50 watt tube amp bassed on the Marshall JTM-45. These are pretty sought after by guitar players as a modifications platform as they are a whole lot cheaper than a Marshall ... as a bass amp. Maybe for recording but totally a one trick pony. Not a gigging bass amp unless you are coffee house only I would think ... I think these were originally shipped as 2 x 6L6 or 2xEL34 as the power amp tube compliment.

Having said that - I use a similar amp as a practice / recording amp and I love the tone ... I'm not familiar with the Traynor tone stack but if it has a mid control try the 2-10-2 (bass, mid, treble) setting. That would be as close to flat as you are likely to get. Amp's from that era often used the tone stack that Fender made popular. Bass & Treble are Boost and Mid is cut only ... Sweet into a 1x15 JBL!

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Awesome, thanks for the info!!