1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Tube Amp conversions ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Please: will anyone with any old (RCA) (PA) tube amp to bass amp conversion experiance please step forward.

I just bought an old RCA PA tube amp. I would dearly love to convert it to a bass amp.

hello.....anyone out there???????

please.....Capt Kirk

2. adam precision

adam precision

Mar 26, 2008
    Ireland
    Change out the input resistor on the best sounding channel. It will be around 4kohm, change this to a 1mohm resistor. That will help it match to the higher impedeance of a guitar (rather than a mic) and reduce signal loss. It'll give the sound a bit more bite.:cool:

3. yes n' yes give more...!!!???

4. I modded an old 4 input PA for guitar use by daisy chaining 2 of the inputs together for higher gain, and added a marshall tone stack, and left the other 2 channels as they came.

Bass definately sounds better through the unmodded inputs, and i think everything except metal level gains for guitar sounds better through them too.

So my first step would be bass into input as it is, speaker on output, and see if you like the sound. It will probably be fine.