1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage V4/V4b with a Berg NV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Jun 25, 2007.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I am seriously considering buying a 70's V4 or V4B to go with my Berg NV215. Anyone have any experience with this combination? The band just broke up, and I dont need the weight or sheer power of my 300T anymore. I need something for party jams/small gigs. The Sunn would be overkill. The cab is probably overkill too, but I will live with that! I might get a single 15 for the really small stuff. Basically, I want the tubey tone without the volume of a 300 watter and am craving some vintage Ampeg tone!

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think the V4(B)/NV215 rig would make a killer sounding small-medium room rig.

My 1972 Ampeg V4 sounds fantastic (and fairly similar to my SVT-II) with my NV610. The V4 just has less headroom and breaks up allot sooner, (although its still fairly loud). It has a very full, fat, rich, room/stage filling sound.

DSCN1248.jpg

3. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Thanks Anderbass! Thats what I am looking for. It kinda even looks like a smaller rig when the cab is on its side! Anyway, I saw a Rod Stewart (Faces?) concert on VH1 Classic a few months back and I think they all were playing through V4's, but I am not absolutely positive on that. The tone of the bass AND guitar was perfect. Anyone know where a nice one is sitting for sale?? None on ebay at the present time..

4. I use the NV610 as ANDERBASS, but I've a V4BH & IT sounds FANTASTIC thru the V4BH. IF the '70's ones are THAT much better it's gonna sound FANTASTIC thru yr NV215!!!!!!!
    As Anderbass says, sound pretty similar to a SVT(II-in his case)-dunno which model in my case, but 2 me it sounds similar to the VR I tried in a shop late last yr. It goes LOUD enough easily -IMHO. & we play with a pretty LOUD drummer. Mine just sits in the sweet spot at most gigs I've done(even with PA back up/FOH) where it'll SLIGHTLY break up if U bang hard on strings, but otherwise it's clean as a whistle. I love it..... Just have to find excuses to take the Fender 300PRO out now! Tho I love it & shouldn't be too hard.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yep, thats my mini-rig of doom...;)

Were the amp heads you saw blond or white in color?

The link below has pics and info about (TalkBass member) "jsamans" blond-tolex V4 that was reported to have been used by the Faces.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322202&highlight=Rod+Stewart+White+Faces

I found mine on craigslist. ($400/new-tubes) I'd suggest you check (state-wide) craiglists every day, and place your own (State-wide) "Wanted Ampeg V4/V4b/VT-22 amp head" ad in the Musical instruments section there. (its free and easy)

Also, If you do a simple Google search for Ampeg V4/V4b, every curent craigslist ad with one for sale in the USA should pop up.

6. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I used a V4B for about 20 years with a 8x10 fridge. It never came up short.

7. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Anderbass, if I remember correctly, they were the original blueish ones. It was on in November, so my memory could be off. VH1 classic has some good stuff sometimes. Anyway, I will check out craigslist. In the past, I have always just driven to Tulsa to find gear - theres probably one sitting in a pawn shop over there right now! Wasn't the vt-22 a combo tho?

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'd imagine the Faces also used some black tolex models too.

Your right. The VT-22 is a combo, but I've seen people advertise their V4 as a VT-22 because on some, the back panel reads V4 - VT-22, and the front panel lettering on these older Ampegs has a bad habit of wearing off.

Good luck on your search...:)

9. TheOldFlatwound

TheOldFlatwound Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    here ya go--i use it with my 2x10 berg as well...the old v4b's are killer for small to medium gigs, but if you end up in too big of a room or with too loud of a band you'll get buried. the 610 will help get the most out of it, but you can still get out matched. stick with it in smaller rooms and it'll be the best rig you can have...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021