1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Vantage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Jul 27, 2007.

1. In all my excitement to snipe bid on this, I forgot these were 32" scale :confused: It's been over 20 years since I played one!! After giving up 5 ers due to hand pain, I think this little guy will grow on me.

I really don't think this bass was ever played for very long. The action was very high when I got it. The pickups were too high almost touching the strings. I lowered string height just fine with the truss rod. Much to my suprise I couldn't lower the pickups :meh: Long story short, they were bottomed out in the pockets. I ended up removing the neck and pickups and milling them 1/4" deeper allowing me to use new foam and lower the pickups to the proper height. After that I polished the frets and cleaned the fretboard. The intonation was very close and rather than messing with the 3 point bridge, I decided to be happy with it as is :) New Knucklehead strings and it's playing beautifully. :bassist: I love the Matsumoku P pickups!!! It's similar in sound to my Electras.......... A more focused, woody punch than a Fender P.

I'm guessing the weight to be under 9lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    That bass is lovely , love the finish and the bodyshape, reminds me some of the old arias

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Man, that brings back memories.

Vantage and Hondo basses and guitars were literally everywhere in Toronto in the early 80's.

I had a few of them. Pretty solid for what they were and how much they initially sold for.

4. It plays great with the small radius neck. It's an awesome slapper as well. I might re-cut the sadles to spread the string spacing out just a little. The neck has plenty of width and that will put the strings over the pole pieces on the pups.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Hey - that's cool! What a sweet looking bass !

6. Thanks Mal!!

7. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    That´s a sweet thing. I had one just like that except it had two PU´s. It got stolen when i left it in my car for about 90 seconds. I´ve regreted my laziness for 16 years.

8. That SUCKS!! :mad:

9. Very nice!

Has a kind of alembic look to it.

10. Reminds me a little bit like a S.D. Curlee ?

11. I would say it's much more refined than an SD. It's much lighter with a thinner faster neck.

12. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    That looks very nice!

It also looks like a good candidate for that new hipshot 3-point bridge replacement.

13. I saw that. The stock bridge is solid, I'm going to re-cut the saddles then it should be perfect.

14. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Is it hard to set the intonation on those bridges?

15. Budget Bass

Budget Bass

Dec 1, 2005
    Switzerland
    It looks almost the same as mine, a Vantage VS600B (1982) which I converted to fretless and threw in Seymour-Duncan PJ's. Outstanding playability!

16. That's a sharp looking bass. I wouldn't mind one like that for myself, just because it looks so good. Enjoy!

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That looks like it is the exact same bass as my first bass. :cool:

Bought new, in 1980 I think. The pickup was supposed to be a DiMarzio. The finish was satin, but it got shiny by the forearm-over position and the thumb contact area near the pup, so I used some guitar polish on it and it was all glossy after that. Mine had no figuring in the center body strip, but the rest looks exactly the same.

Nice instrument. My only criticism of it was that the tuners didn't hold their tuning very well. But it earned me a few bucks playing in bars.

18. Not really but there is some play in the adjustment screws. It was damn close when I set it up and did't feel like playing with it any farther. I'll set it closer when I do the saddles.

19. very 80s looking.. nice.