Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage vs. New 15" cabs--Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulfinger, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    It seems like the old-school 15" cabs are back in style these days. I guess a lot of people have rediscovered the old Sunn and Acoustic 2x15's, and I've seen some folks using 1 or 2 of the old Musicman 1x15's.

I've played a few big old 2x15" cabs in my life and I always liked the big thick sound you can get out of them and how they stay full sounding even at a distance.

So here's my question: is there really anything different about the old cabs vs. new ones. I have a 1x15" Avatar that I think is pretty cool--it's a solid, well made box correctly tuned (I usually keep the tweeter off). Should I just get another one and have my vintage rig that way? Sure, it's not as vintage-cool as an old Sunn box, but is it going to sound about the same?

Except for the big folded-horn monsters like the V4 cab, aren't all these boxes really the same? Or am I missing something?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have an older EV 215, and it sounds nothing like a Bergantino 215 (now out of production :crying: ). Mesa Boogie 215s sound pretty vintage. Bag End loaded cabs are not very vintage. It depends on the cab.

3. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Well, the Bergantino cab is somewhat unique in that it's sealed. Every other 2x15 I know of it ported in some way.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The plywood in vintage speaker cabinets has aged and produces that sought after vintage tone.:rolleyes: