1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage vs New

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by TroyK, Apr 14, 2010.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I just got back from the dog park with Nancy (With the Laughing Face). I took a ChuckIt and a new tennis ball, but she kept abandoning it in exchange for whatever busted up, cracked open, muddy, slobbery, spent-the-winter-in-Seattle-in-the-mulch relic of a tennis ball she could fish out from under a bush.

I guess we know where she stands on this issue, but I don't get it.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sounds like my younger daughter. She could give a crap about the mall, can't wait to get out of there.... but a box of ocean glass, or some sea shells we picked up, she's all fired up. I love that about her.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'm with NWTLF. I have very rarely run into new instruments, be they DB, guitar or mandolin, that grab me like old ones do.

Many of the most compelling instruments I've held in my hands have been played a lot and hard.

4. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I thought we were talking about tennis balls?

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Muddy, slobbery balls.

6. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Tennis balls, vintage Martins, old Italian basses - what's the difference?

And watch your mouth BIGGUS, there's somebody's daughter in this thread! :D

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Arggh... she sprung from me very loins, the lass.

8. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    They are fewer and farther between these days, but I always enjoyed rummaging through junk shops. No surprises at the mall.

9. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    I think that's why yard sales draw crowds the way they do. Treasure hunting. :)

10. My favorite discoveries at junk shops are old manual typewriters, especially portables. I used to do all my creative writing on them, long after "word processing" was firmly established.

11. learned many a valued thing from fred and lamont sanford.

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    One of my first jazz moments was hearing Redd Fox sing "chestnuts roasting" on Sanford and Son. Someone was playing guitar beautifully and I remember as a kid thinking "woah...that's really cool...what's happening there."

Not to derail my off-topic thread with something actually about music.

13. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Just to get things back on track I think we all prefer vintage for various reasons.
    Some like the look.
    Some take pride in the history.
    Some appreciate that for it to have lasted this long someone really had to care about it and it's probably a good one.
    But lets face it: if a new tennis ball is all you have that's what you'll chase.

14. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Okay…here is a joke I heard Wayne Henderson (the maker of Eric Clapton’s guitar and many other fine guitars) tell this weekend at Merlefest.

Wayne said being raised poor he doesn’t like to waste anything. So he goes down to the local store to buy something and finds two new tennis balls lying in the parking lot. He being thrifty minded picks up the new yellow tennis balls and puts one in each pocket and goes into the store to do his shopping.

He is greeted by a lady who keeps staring “down there”. She said to Wayne, “Oh my, what’s going on down there”? Wayne in his dry sense of humor said, “oh that, I have tennis balls”. She said, “you poor thing, I had tennis elbow last year and it was really painful. I can’t image how painful tennis balls are.”

Cracked everyone up in the audience.

As far as vintage verse new…vintage all the way. I don’t own one new instrument. I need all my players to have the experience that I don’t have. One of my basses was played so hard the back of the flamed maple neck actually ripples under your hand. The soft part of the wood has worn deeper then the harder parts of the wood. Wear like that on an instrument can only happen from being played, a lot…I’ll take that type of vintage character over any shiny, new instrument.

So did you like the joke? :D