Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage vs. Reissue EHX Bass Micro Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aaron, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm curious to what are the primary difference between the vintage models and the reissues. I heard that the older models don't have true-bypass switching which leads to tone-sucking when plugged off - are there any convenient ways to avoid this with the vintage models? Anything different from tone/reliability/build/etc.? Do all of the older ones have a built-in power supply with a power cable protruding?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Back then, people hadn't heard all the hype about true bypass. Some is still hype, some isn't. A good buffer circuit will do the same thing, just won't work when turned off. I don't recall the vintage Bass MS's being true bypass by any means. However, some swear that the vintage ones sound better, I'd personally take a newer one. Way to avoid this? Either have it modded for true bypass or put it in a loooper.

Difference in tone? Couldn't tell you, haven't A/B'd them.
    Reliability? There are 30 year old ones floating around, what's that tell ya?
    Build? Same sheet metal box they've always used.

IIRC only the recent reissues had detachable power supplies.