Vintage VS4CR Electric Bass or Epiphone EB-0 Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ieatbass, Dec 26, 2019.

1. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    Hi all.

I'm from the UK and I have tried a few bass guitars in my local music stores. I am looking for something similar to the short scale Gibson EB-3, which is out of my price range.

I am wondering what your opinions are on the Vintage VS4CR Bass or the Epiphone EB-0 Bass. To the best of my knowledge, the VS4CR has better features with its 20 fret Mahogany set neck, Graphtec NuBone and Wilkinson WJBL200 machine heads.

Which bass guitar would you choose? I would appreciate any advice, opinions and any other suggestions for other short scale bass guitars. Thank you.

Vintage VS4 ReIssued Bass Guitar ~ Cherry Red
    Epiphone EB-0 Bass

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    just based on the far more comfortable heel I'd take the set neck Vintage over the new Epi or the better-made long scale Epi EB-3, add the bridge PU and you've got a superior package, at least on paper. I tried a new Epi EB-0 last week and was so disappointed I wrote a thread about it lol I didn't plug in but it felt horrible and the block heel was annoying. this Vintage has a vibe more akin to the old Gibsons, thx for linking, I'm interested in these now but they could sound and play very differently from the Epi, that may be a very good thing.

BackToTheGroove and ieatbass like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it seems some VS4s come with the 3 point bridge of the olde Gibson era while others sport a basic bent vintage Fender 4 barrel, not sure which I'd prefer cos I'd want the ancient Gibson slant bar bridge swapped in, but otherwise the bent bridge is likely best.

ieatbass likes this.
  4. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    If you're looking for the SOUND of a vintage EB-3 the Epi won't really get you 100% there. It's a somewhat similar vibe but not really the same. If it's mainly for looks and "ballpark" sound you might be happy with the Epi. I've personally never found the bridge pickup essential in these kind of basses anyway, it's all about the mudbucker for me but YMMV. The Epi is a cool bass on it's own terms if you really want THAT sound but it's not a 100% vintage correct reissue of the Gibsons. If you're buying used just make sure you don't get one of the Chinese Epi EB-0s from 15-20 years ago. They were HORRIBLE!!!

I haven't tried the Vintage.

It might be worth mentioning that the current Gibson SG basses are COMPLETELY different animals. They're really great instruments IMO and have a far more versatile sound than the old EB-basses but they're very, very different. I was very surprised how tight/defined the neck pickup is. None of the boutique mudbucker upgrades I've tried are anywhere near as tight/clear as the neck pickup in the current SG basses. Which is a good thing EXCEPT if you're looking for the vintage mudbucker vibe. The SG basses may LOOK like the old EBs but they're actually very different.

Have you looked into used MIJ EBs? Like the Orville-Gibson? Or whatever other clones they made in Japan at the time. Like Greco or Ibanez lawsuit or something like that? I have no idea how good they are but they could be within your budget and might be closer to what you want if you can find one in good condition.

BackToTheGroove and ieatbass like this.
  5. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    As for your question about "other short scale bass guitars":

Does that mean you are not 100% set on an EB?

If you're not 100% certain that you REALLY want the EB-mudbucker sound I would probably recommend practically ANY other short scale bass instead of the EBs. The mudbucker sound is very cool if that's what you want but it's possibly the least versatile bass out there IMO. There are several other cool cheap short scales available these days: Ibanez Talman, Gretsch Junior Jet, the new Squier CV Mustangs (not out yet so I would probably wait for reviews before deciding). All of these would be far more versatile than an EB in my opinion.

And just to be clear: I'm not saying EB-basses are rubbish. Personally I love them. I just say you gotta know what you're getting. An EB doesn't sound remotely close to any other bass out there and unless you really want the mudbucker sound it's not a good choice IMO. I would NEVER have an EB as my only bass but it's a cool bass for SOME stuff. But if you don't know 100% what you're getting into you will probably be disappointed.

Mike Whitfield, pbass2 and ieatbass like this.
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The VS4CR looks like a much better bass imho.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  7. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    I like the mudbucker sound, but thanks for your suggestions. I did not like the Ibanez Talman. However, I will check out the Gretsch Junior Jet and the Squier CV Mustang.

8. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    I think I will not bother with the Epi EB-0. I tried the Vintage VS4CR, and it played well, but I have little knowledge about the brand outside of the Green/Moore V100 electric guitar.

9. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    Thanks.

10. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Id say the vintage because the Epiphany Eb0 is terrible

Axstar and ieatbass like this.
  11. I think the Vintage looks cooler and has more options with the bridge pickup installed. So I would probably go that route personally and superficially. Good luck!

ieatbass likes this.
  12. That Vintage VS4 looks like a reasonably good EB3 copy - better than the Epiphone EBO.
    Is the Squier Jaguar short scale available in your market? Those are pretty nice.

ieatbass likes this.
  13. philpm

philpm

May 31, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    I had a Vintage Tele-style guitar for a bit, and it was a good solid guitar, so I can say the build quality on them is generally good.

Another idea, if you have them available there, is the Ibanez Mezzo series. They're a medium-scale (32") bass, so maybe a bit longer than you're looking for, but the ones I've tried have sounded and felt great.

ieatbass likes this.
  14. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I played a new Epi EB0 and I liked it a lot. I should have bought it. I was out of town. A one trick pony but the price is right. Never played the other.

ieatbass likes this.
  15. Not sure what year my Epi EBO is, I bought it from a fellow TBer probably 10 years ago. It is Chinese so according to other posters it’s one of the ones to avoid .

That said , previous owner installed a Di Marzio One pickup and a Hipshot Supertone bridge and rolled the fretboard edges. I got it with rounds on but the seller included another set of rounds and flats of unknown make in the gig bag.

I put the flats on (and left on) and this has become one of my most fun and fav basses and I have many more expensive ones to choose from. I don’t play it a lot but it sounds great and feels great when I do.

Thanks for the link to Vintage. I did not know and was saddened to read about Jerry Donahue . A true master of the telecaster and fine gentlemen. His string bending behind the nut is unique .

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Axstar and ieatbass like this.
  16. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    Thanks.

17. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    Thanks! You create a compelling argument for it.:)

18. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    I am yet to see one but I will check for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    I'll check the Ibanez out, thanks. I have heard good things about the Vintage brand with Trev Wilkinson. Teles are cool.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  20. ieatbass

ieatbass

Dec 26, 2019
    I like Fairport Convention. Jerry is fantastic on guitar. Your bass sounds cool! What bass guitars do you mostly play?