Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Viola bass Vs Jay Turser bass ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by srj, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Well i was thinking about buying either of these basses.
    First the epiphone Viola bass , nice light .
    or this bass
    http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=85258
    by jay turser . The are lot of good comments about this bass. And LOOK at the price !!

So does any body have any advice or comments
    Thanks

Yes i know a Hofner would be better , but i'm not paying $2000 for one !!!

2. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    My local store used to carry Jay Turser but had 3 guitars and 2 basses returned for repairs under the stores warrenty over a matter of 3 months. This cost the store a lot of money so he just decided to drop the name. My experience with them goes like this: they are god awful. I would never buy one, my first bass is a Ventura which to me is a pretty bad bass, maybe I'm wrong. But when I play a 5 string bass that costs $325 canadian without a deal, when it's brand new. Besides that point, they just feel awful and have horrid harmonics. Portrait of Tracy is virtually impossible on the one I tried. hehe if what i just said gets through than that's good. Don't take this as me flaming them. Take it as me saying save your money because you can get so much better.

Just so you don't think that I own the store hehe I'm 18 and only own 2 basses hehehe :p

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Be carefull each of these basses have reputations of factory flaws in their construction. The Epiphone is not a true hollow body it is only chamberd and the woods can be heavy. Can you put ou the money for a Hofner, they are consistently light. The just reissued their club bass it might be worth looking at.

4. Thanks guys , i will heed the warning .

so jay turser is out all together
    and the epiphone sounds a bit dodgy also.

But do you have any alternative models in the same look as the Hofner ??(but not the price!!)

5. MAJOR METAL

Sean

Have you look at used Hofner's, the Hofner knock offs are much heavier then the real thing.

6. MAJOR METAL

I just thoght of another hollow body Reverend Rumblefish. Their are a few guys playing them here i am sure you can find some info around.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  8. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I read a lot of reviews on various basses and have read nothing but bad things about Jay Turser. Nino Brown has a Turser Stingray and said something about it being "ok" in one of his posts but he mods almost everything he owns. I still think he's not real happy with it.

I'm pretty sure Dillion makes a Hofner copy. Check them out at http://dillionguitars.com

9. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
  10. I was actually at Rondo yesterday and I got a chance to play their viola which was nice and light, sounded and looked great for the price. I considered buying one until I spied this beauty.

[​IMG]

Here's their viola

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I don't know about the other Turser models, but I have the Hofner knockoff and it is one great little bass. Absolutely well made, great attention to detail and finish (mine's the black one woith gold hardware). Nice binding, no dead spots. Comes with a lifetime warranty - I'm sure total crap would never get that backup. I put a set of Pyramid flats on it and it really cops that Hofner tone at a fraction of the price.

I have many other basses - always wanted a Hofner but wasn't ready to shell out that kind of money for what would be a novelty instrument for me. Everything I read about this particular model was positive - check Harmony Central. I don't regret buying this at all. Got a used one with HSC off ebay in mint condition.

I never tried the Epi Viola (I was gearing up to get one when I read about these) but I can't believe it would be twice as good as this at twice the price. The other Turser models may indeed be trash but their Beatle bass is recommended.

12. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    The going rate for a Hofner knock off seems to be around $240 on Ebay. Looks to me like they come from the same factory - Brice, Rogue, Turser, Eastwood. Tokai and Dillion look a little different/nicer. Samick or its Chinese equivalent is the maker perhaps?

I am waiting for UPS to deliver an Eastwood in Natural with a RW board. For the money I paid, I am not anticipating the world but who knows, it might be great.

Tried a "beatle bass" thread but did not get much feedback here on TB forum so my Eastwood is a shot in the dark. If it's any good - I'll give it a review.

Could have bought a Brice, Turser or Rogue. I think it's all down to the quality control and set-up by the importer/dealer.

BTW - reviews on Harmony C. are pretty positive for Turser and Rogue but then again who is going to admit to buying a pile of sh-one-tea?!