Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violate MP3 now online

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, May 4, 2004.

1. My band finally got an MP3 online. We did a 3 track demo over the weekend, and I've put this track up to hold people over till we get the CD's printed up in a couple weeks. I just thought I'd post for anyone who's interested. Feedback will be very welcome.

http://www.violatemetal.com - Music section

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Cool bass wah thing in the intro. Overall I like your bass tone.

Critisisms? Ok, here goes:

The singer sucks.
    Too much snare.
    The guitars could come up a bit.
    The "metal" sections sound pretty generic. There's a section with some strummed chords in the middle that broke up the rest of it, which was much cooler than the rest. Try working on some riffs that stand out a bit.

Keep at it - hard work can only make you better. :cool:

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The multi-part (3-4) harmony at the end is lame.

Not a metal head any more, but stereotypical metal. Decent playing, maybe have the guitarists try some different chord voicings to spice up the song, not just detuned power chords.

It needs a solo too, any good metal song needs a minute to two minute long solo, full of pinch harmonics, squeals, tapping, and string bends; dive bombs and other vibrato effects if the guitarist has a wang bar.

Just kidding about that :bag:

My two pesos

4. OK.

Snare sound, doesn't seem that loud on my PC, whereas the guitars are too loud. We haven't had it properly mastered so it sounds different on anything you play it on, and especially when you play it loud it sounds better.

Vocals, too dry for a start, they're really articulate, which stands out a little in the mix(we're all used to unlistenable metal vocals aren't we?). Listen to some Amon Amarth and you'll see what we were going for, just with less treble.

As for stereotypes, it didn't stop Slayer, and it won't stop us :D

Thank god you were joking about the solo. There isn't a single solo on the CD, but there are 22 pinch harmonics. Our live songs have all that stuff in and it gets boring.

The "four part harmony" is a CD indulgence thing, it's just me live.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    in my humble opinion;

tune the guitar
    tighten up the drummer

How were the drums recorded? I don't have a lot of experience recording that kind of metal, but it seems like the cymbals and especially the Hi-hat weren't coming across much in the higher frequencies where they're so important.

Is this the finished track that you'll be mastering for CD?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Have to agree with the others, the vocals need work and the drummer is a bit loose. The biggest problem for me is the out of tune guitars! -there's a lot of potential here though. i also liked the strummed chords in the middle, though I have no problem with the more common metal riff, sometinmes it's all about jusr riding on the riff, simple. Screaming mother****** is pretty tired, I would lose it. I don't mind the end harmony at all really.

7. The strummed chords don't work when they're out of tune. Fix that up and I think that the guitar and bass would sound really good. Overall the music isn't too bad. Drummer is a bit loose but I think the mix didn't help. The vocals improve through to the end of the song but he kinda sounds like a pirate at the start. Now, while pirates are cool, as a screamer myself, he sounded it sounded like he was either rusty or hadn't warmed up before recording.

I gotta say that I like the end harmonies. So, I think that you need to get the vocalist to warm up first, fix up the recording of the drums and tune the guitars and you'll be well on your way. Hope that helps.

Leigh

8. It's finished already, we ran it through a tube compressor for mastering, it's only a demo after all. This one is the worst mixed, because we had to use a really poor crash cymbal and it seems to basically have ruined the mix!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Off to Recordings.