Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violin bass - DONE!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Mar 27, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
  2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I really like the inlay and the headstock design. very cool

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Awesome. How did you solve the neck dive issue that seems to be commonplace on instruments of that style?

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Good work. That is actually the only violin bass I have ever like. The majority of them are hideous.

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Probably the most important factor is that mine is a solid body verses the Hofner style hollow body. I used maple as the core, which is pretty heavy to begin with. The size of the body is quite small so the weight of the entire bass ended being quite light really. I got the body to neck weight ratio right, I guess. I used Hipshot Ultralight tuners to keep the weight of the headstock down. Also mine is a 34" scale bass and the neck is positioned deeper into the body towards the bridge. The headstock ended up being about the same distance from the body as a Hofner is and by using a cutaway I can still access the upper registry (somewhat). Also the positon of the upper strap button was critical. I installed it on the back of the bass and as far towards the headstock as I could. The bass is quite comfortable to play and you can slap it too. :)

6. Very nice Bud, clean and inviting!

"Inviting" has been creeping into my judgment criteria lately for some reason. I see great looking instruments all the time, from all kinds of sources but some don't invite me to play them - I can't really explain it. But if I don't want to pick it up then I guess it's lost it's chance as an instrument hasn't it?

Your's isn't that way, I assure you. I wanna play it.

I think it would be great to hear some of those old Beatles tunes done on a pair of single coils like you've got there - say "Daytripper" with a little nasty bridge pup rolled in to duel it out with those Ricky's! That would've been sweet.

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, Hambone. Nice words. Of course this bass was built with the intent that it was supposed to be the bass that Pauly Mac wished he could have had. ;)

Saying all that, the wife and I were in Liverpool exactly one week ago today visiting friends for the day. We did the express Beatles tour and got to see Paul's and John's boyhood homes, The Cavern, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field...

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yeah, I definitely have to agree with that!

9. All niceties out of the way Bud, wait till you see the violin style bass I've got on the drawing boards now. ;)

I needed something to use these Sperzels on!

10. I love it!!!

Is your peghead logo a water decal?

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks! I use clear laser labels. Much better than waterslides. Thinner, clearer, no drying time.

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    You mean adhesive mailing labels? I never really thought of that!