1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Violin Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mookwarrior, Jun 7, 2007.

1. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    Hi I love the look of a violin bass. I also love my Fender special P-bass deluxe, but it just doesn't look as classy too me as A violin style. So heres my question im playing a 34'' scale it feels very comfortable im very tall with big hands and it just fits, is there any type of violin bass I can buy with a 34'' scale? I have only seen 30'' and 31''.

2. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Good question. The Epiphone Viola was my first bass, and I have stuck with the short scales, despite the arms of Kevin McHale and the hands of King Louie. Lotsa guys switch back n forth, but I like my basses to feel similar. BTW: I was going to get a 34" Ibanex but saw the Viola on sale at GC for a great price, and grabbed it. I love the sound. I play it at church and it really sounds great my jazz combo at school. I have a couple others too now, but the Viola is still my fave...

3. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    Well im still very early on in my learning process so im afraid switching back and forth would be confusing, so have you ever heard of a violin style with a 34'' scale?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bud Lecompte built one once. I think his was a solid body, or at least semi-hollow. Not an easy thing to find. I really don't think any manufacturer makes one.

5. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    What A shame.

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That first part is not exactly true.

7. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    So is it possible too getone? oOr did he not actually build one?

Oh wait thats you.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
  9. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    it certanily is a beutiful instrument...

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

11. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
  12. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    Do you think it would screw up my learning process if I had 2 basses, a short scale and a long scale. Or should I just stick with one scale?

13. It has never been an issue for me to switch between multiple scales or fretted/fretless. But, try out a shortscale, some people just don't like it.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have an issue with the scale for about the first half hour if I haven't played my Beatle bass for a while. Then you get used to it. Funny how muscle memory adapts.

15. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    im considering picking up one of the hofner icon series.

16. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    The whole long scale Vs short scale is BS , I asume most Bassists, like myself, have no trouble playing guitar, I mean we're not all running to a luthier to get a 34" scale neck guitar built so we can play.

My advice is try it, you may or may not like it, if you like it enough buy it, if not laeve it in the shop. Honestly you'd think it was girls night out and comparing handbags or somthing.:D

17. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Yeah, I ended up buzzing some notes by playing right on the frets here and there when switching from 34" to 30.5" for a couple days now and then. That's really the worst of it though.
    I'm quite sure I've seen a 34" violin bass on ebay at one time or another.
    One real advantage of the shorter scale is, the flatwound strings have a nice tension to them. Dowside, roundwounds are a bit flopsy.

18. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I think I found one for you. Sam Ash. Brownsville UB800VS. Website states that it's actually 34.75 scale". Very unusual. Looks like a long neck.

19. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lately I've been switching between a Hofner/Greco copy and my full scale upright for a duo gig. Compared to that, A P bass to a Beatle bass is cake. Don't worry, just try one.

20. mookwarrior

mookwarrior

May 20, 2007
    Las vegas nv
    Ok so I bought the Icon series and im loving this little thing the size doesnt seem too be much of an issue at all. I am however having a problem figuring out how the switches work does anyone have and online manual?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021