Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violin Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nubassplayer, Apr 16, 2001.

1. nubassplayer

nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I saw one on those violin style basses. It was pretty cool, and it was fretless. Has anyone played one? How was it??

2. who made it?
    i tried a epiphone and didn't like it to much.
    i have tried some of their other basses and they were nice. this one just didn't grab me.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There are any number of violin-shaped basses - Vox, Eko, Gibson all come to mind from older times. The Gibson EB-1 is probably the most famous (played by Felix Pappalardi and James Dewar, in their day). Epiphone is the label that Gibson is using to reissue both the EB-1 (a solid mahogany body) and the Viola Bass, which is a hollow-body version. Actually, I like both of the Epiphone reissues. The construction seems good, and the sound agreeable. I wouldn't call them great, but you have to remember what the original EB-1 was like - a bit muddy to begin with.

4. Man, when I saw this I thought you were talking about the double bass! It tripped me out! Well, I'm an idiot.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    HUH?
    What about Hofner? Paul McCartney? Ring any bells?

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    DOH! - how could I have forgotten the granddaddy of them all!!!!!

Hamer also made about a dozen models like this. And, I believe they gave one to McCartney.