Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violin basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Jan 22, 2006.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    at the Namm show I played a hofner violin bass and Oh my lord..... It made me fall to me knees literally. The tone was as punchy, crunchy soft mellow as you wanted it to be... It literally made me melt.
    THe tone was DREAMMMY seriously.

too bad it costs 10,000

does anyone know of any good violin basses or companies. I'd like to get one for $600 or less

2. The absolute Best violin bass I've played was a..

damn, I'm completely blanking out. I can't remember the brand, but I do remember they were discontinued, and this particular store just happened to have a few in stock.

As for other companies, J Reynolds, Epiphone and Brice all put out a Violin bass.

The Brice might be your best value, but it doesn't come in that classic violin finish. Check it out at www.rondomusic.net

The J Reynolds is the closest to that Hofner Beatles Bass look. Supposedly a great value, but I can't say I've ever played one.

and Epiphone has one too, that I have played and liked a whole lot. I just didn't like its lack of pickguard and how much more it cost than the other 2 :)

I'll get back to you as soon as I remember the other brand name. It was a small company that began with a D. Idea's anyone?

Sorry, but I meant Jay Turser. J. Reynolds was the brand of my first ever bass, and deffinatly not a value :)

3. i only know of the jay turser, rogue and the epiphone, which are all great i've heard, never played any of em. BUT the rogue and the epiphone are made in the exact same factory, so theres no difference between them besides the name on the headstock and the $200 price difference and the rogue looks more like and has the same features as a hofner. (the epi has 2 vol 1 tone, while the rogue has all the switches and vol's) i've heard the jay turser isnt as good as either the epi or the rogue, but i wouldnt know, this is just from reviews

i bet the brice is good, but i think the rogue would be a bit better quality and $50 less too

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Literally?

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What Hofner costs 10 ,000 ?

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Do a search on Ebay for "violin bass" and/or "Beatle Bass" and you will get a good variety of possibilities. I personally like the versions that have F holes and scroll headstocks (!!!!)

Other brands of violin basses not mentioned
    EKO, Firstman, Galveston, Aria

I just bought a Firstman Baroque off of Ebay, with scroll headstock and F holes... it's a blast to play.

8. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    The Jay Turser, Epiphone, Brice, and Rogue are identical, I believe, except for finishes available. The Epi is generally a little more expensive. I don't know if there are any differences in electronics, but I think they do come from the same factory.

9. the epi and johnson have different electronic setups, it dosnt have the switches the hofners have, including the bass/treble switch, therefor, its less true to what its supposed to be; a copy bass. i'm not bashing epi for this, i have no doubt theyre good basses. but the rogue and brice are more accurate. the epi is just a bigger brand name and for some reason they think they can sell it for $200 more than it should be; coming from the same factory as the rogue

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The bass lists for $5,000.00 It should sell for less.

Here's some info on it. Photo to follow.

- 50th anniversary 500/1 bass - 50 in Japan, 50 in USA, 50 in UK/Europe
    - COA, numbered pickguards, etc.
    - Cavern style pups. pup spacing, neck size
    - 4 individual tuners
    - carved top
    - one piece back

TD