Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violin Like Singing Sustain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dhodgeh, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    I'm looking for a pedal that will give me that violin like singing distorted sustain, almost to the point of being a 'synth' type of sound.

I can get this sound on my guitar using a custom fuzz into a Boss SD-1 and a tube amp.

However, my bass rig is either direct (via a J-Station or SABDDI) or into a solid state amp (again with the SABDDI). Though I have not tried the fuzz/SD-1 thing on my bass yet, that combo usually doesn't work as expected without a tube amp.

I can get close with the J-Station, using the Fuzz amp model and playing around with the speaker cab sims, various delay settings and other effects.

I'm working with a looper, and after I lay down a groove, I'm wanting too kick this in, and improvise or play a melody on the higher registers on my bass.

What's out there that can do this?

tia

D

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you ever tried an EBow? It's a handheld device that can give you a sound very much like the one you're describing.

Here's a quick sample I made a while ago of an EBow (it starts about 30 seconds in). An EBow is very sensitive to your movements and just moving slightly can create volume swells and turn the tone from clean to distortion-city. It can make a lot more sounds and tones than I play here-if you'd like I could make another sample with more of it's sounds for you.

Silly EBow samle

3. yeah, thats what i was going to suggest...you might like it!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Boss GT-6B has a premade patch called "Slow Strings." It has a strings-like sound to it, but I don't favor it to using an EBow at all, even though the EBow is a one-string-at-a-time sort of tool. You can move the EBow from string to string, but it won't respond really quickly to it, so you won't be able to maintain steady eighth notes when ascending or descending strings- at least I haven't heard it be able to do that on a bass yet. It probably can on a guitar, as it was originally designed for guitar.

Here's a quick sample of that Boss GT-6B patch-the synth sounds don't track well on the GT-6B, but I'm sure you can get this with a couple different pedals if it's the sound you want.
    Boss GT-6B patch sample

5. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    another vote here for the Ebow. i love mine--it is tricky to use on bass but it sounds great on its own and with pedals. check out www.ebow.com for allt he details and some of michael manring's stuff so hear great ebow work on bass.

-jimbo

7. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    Thanks for all the input.

An ebow is on it's way.

D

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    the Guyatone slow volume can do this too - it's based on the old boss slow gear I think.