1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Violin played as Titanic sank, found

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Mar 16, 2013.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
  2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Neat!

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Could save the violin but couldn't save Jack? SMH :scowl:

:p

4. The article rings totally bogus.

5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    well I don't believe it. I mean, how many people made a ''trip'' with a submarine to the Titanic?

Plus, basicly nothing has been taken off of that ship...

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Very few people have been to Titanic, but quite a bit has been salvaged from the debris field, so it is conceivable. Whether it's true or not I don't know.

7. If I interpret the article correctly, the violin did not sink, but was either recovered with the bandleader's (floating) body or was found floating nearby....supposedly.

Personally I think this is pure speculation. All they seem to have is an old water-stained violin, the connection to the bandleader is pretty vague IMO.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Smells like BS to me.

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Only a pair of shoes, a clock and some tableware.. Atleast, that's what is known for now.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    That's some serious Mojo! The new standard for the "relicing" process!

Bard2dbone likes this.
  11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I've been to the Titanic Exhibit several times. Thousands of items have been recovered from the Titanic debris field. Clocks, dishes, suits of clothing, shoes, tableware, combs, sinks, windows, mirrors, etc. have all been recovered.

12. Very cool, if legit.

13. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    True, Bob Ballard is based out of the URI bay Campus near my house, he has often stated that it's a shame how many artifacts have been taken from the titanic

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    In that case, I have to apologize. Wasn't informed proparly.

15. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    No apology needed. You didn't have all the information needed, no big deal.

16. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    "The last living survivor, Millvina Dean from England, who at only nine weeks old was the youngest passenger on board, died aged 97 on 31 May 2009.[169]" As per Wiki....

And yet, the "Survivors of the Titanic have said they remember the band"
    "violin apparently was returned to Hartley’s grieving fiancée" according to the article.

That, along with such a fragile instrument as a violin submerged in sea water for 100 years looking so good, I've gotta call B.S.

17. It doesn't say when his body was found? I'm assuming shortly after the ship sank because it was returned to his fiancé and then changed hands.

If this is true its definitely a cool story. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said they can't post anything on the Internet that isn't true... :D

18. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Read the article, people... the violin wasn't submerged 100 years in sea water, it was found among the floating wreckage shortly after the accident.

19. lucathakid

lucathakid

Apr 2, 2012
    "Here are your life jackets " "that won't be necessary, we intend to go down like gentlemen"

20. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Did you read the same article I did? If so we came away with two totally different concepts of what it actually said. It does not state when interviews were taken of the survivors. I am reasonably certain they were interviewed before passing. The violin was strapped to Hartley's floating body; not recently discovered at the bottom of the ocean.