Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violin Players?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ASR, Aug 30, 2001.

1. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I was just wondering if anyone plays violin in addition to bass. I want to learn violin, so I was wondering if it would be very hard to learn since I also play guitar and bass. Is it extremely different from guitar and bass?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. I had classical violin training as a child through my teen years, and still play at the age of 42.

It certainly helps that you are a musician already, and have an understanding of music. The hardest part is the fact that the fingerboard is so small that accurate intonation is very hard to maintain. Bowing technique is also very critical in getting a good tone.

A good understanding of music theory is also very helpful, as it is with any instrument.

The violin is certainly different than playing guitar or bass - I play those instruments as well.

3. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    20 Grand? Good Lord that's a lot o' money! I was thinking more along the lines of some of the 300 dollar ones I saw at H&H Music. Everything I own put together doesn't come out to 20 Grand, so there is no way I would spend that much.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much does a genuine Strad go for?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's in the 7 figures :eek:

I used to play classical violin from age 6 to 16, but quit for bass.

I haven't played for years and probably lost everything, but it enabled me to play righthanded (I'm a lefty) and read. And I had a head start on developing lefthand dexterity.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Strads, of which there are no more than 520 remaining, regularly run into the > $5 mil. range.

The mint condition "Messiah" Strad, in storage at Oxford, is worth $20 mil. It's the most expensive musical instrument in the world.

7. ASR,

Don't let them scare you. You can get a really nice violin for less than $500 if you buy wisely. Sufficient enough to learn on at the very least, with a fairly decent tone.

Sure, it's not hard to spend a load of money for a excellent instrument, but why if you just want to see if it's an instrument you want to stick with?

I have 4 violins - my best one weighing in at about $15,000 in value. The one I play the most, is the one I paid $350 for - painted it black, and mounted a transducer pickup to the bridge.

It really rocks!!!!!!!!!

8. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    I played the violin in my early teens.From there I went into electric guitar then electric bass.Probably the first thing that will throw you off is the tuning.The violin is tuned(low to high)G D A E.I remember not being used to it when I first switched.I wanted to keep the same violin tuning on the bass!But I realized that it was not practical,so I kept the standard tuning on bass.And I didn't go for a fretless!

I did learn to read the treble clef,though.:)