1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Violin style bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waspinators, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I want to purchase a Paul McCartney style bass, but I'm torn between these two:

http://tinyurl.com/2v4qkj

http://tinyurl.com/yqnqks

The Brownsville:
    Pros:
    -I tried it at Sam Ash, and it sounded amazing.
    -Low price.
    -Good reviews.

Cons:
    -Brownsville is a pretty unknown company.
    -Some reviews mention fret buzz.

The Hofner:
    Pros:
    -Made from Hofner.
    -Looks almost exactly like Paul McCartney's bass.

Cons:
    -More expensive.
    -Reviews seem to mention it falling apart easily.

Both look great, and both seem to have a great sound to them. Do you think it would be worth the extra money to get a more well-known brand of bass? And which one looks like a better buy to you?

Also, I know it's not really meant for this (I'm buying it for the Beatles-like sound), and I have a Dean for this also, but do you think with some tweaking of my amp, I could get a nice metal style sound out of this thing?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd rather get one of the SX ones.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I actually like the looks of the Brownsville one better, but then the Hofner would be a "real" Beatle Bass, I guess. I think you also need to decide what kind of controls you want. I noticed that the Hofner had the traditional Hofner control layout with two knobs and three switches. The Brownsville has your typical two-pickup passive control layout - two volume and one tone.

I like the headstock, tuners, and the flame on the brownsville better myself.

4. smurfco

smurfco Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I love my Epiphone Viola, got it for $290 new a few months ago:

DSC00009.

DSC00010.

I had the Hofner Icon beforehand. In my opinion it wasn't worth the price tag. The Epiphone eats it for lunch.

Whatever you do get, do yourself a favor and put the LaBella short-scale Beatle Bass flatwound strings on it (available from JustStrings.com)...

5. agreed, I'm really digging the look of the brownsville bass. And the 34 scale would keep things nice and tight.

and that price, that's just too good not to pass up :D. Why not buy two? ;)

tbh, I think there's a risk involved with buying an instrument, brand or otherwise. Sometimes, you get the bad apples, and other times, you get the perfect ones.

OH and one last thing, I notice that the site say that only two Brownsvilles are left in stock. Rarity principle dictates that u buy it now:smug:

6. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    +1 on the Epi Viola. Put some TI Flats on it, and they're a great little bass, with those humbuckers having nice grunt. Very thumpy and fun to play.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I didn't even notice that the Brownsville was 34" scale - go for it! (unless you prefer the BB to be short scale).

I think if you're wanting to possibly play metal with it I'd go with the Brownsville as well because of the simple controls layout (if that makes any sense). I'm not sure if it's going to work well for metal because it should prove to be a fairly mellow and deep sounding bass - not enough treble bite I don't think.

Maybe B.C. Rich makes a violin style bass with double sets of P pups! ;)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're not going to get a traditional metal sound out of it, but I think those little violin basses would be awesome for metal. They don't cut through the mix...they bully their way through the mix. And with a set of roundwounds, they have an edge that isn't there when you use flats.

9. the first thing i checked was the scale ;)

a black Violin bass with 2 P pups? you sir, stop it now, i'm having wild fantasies already :D

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe with some of these body style ideas:

pagan_group_950.

11. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    So based on what I'm seeing, I'm guessing I should go for the Brownsville. I think the price is a huge advantage, considering I need to buy a new amp also.:)

12. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    +1 on the +1 on the Epi...

I was playing mine today through my Ashdown 15-180 and brand new 2x10 Mag extension cab... (I got the Epi in January for $249 new at GC;) )... MAN, that thing sounds good. I love it. I am GASSING for a Birdsong, but I think I will NEVER give up this Epi...

13. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
  14. fourstringbliss, you are terrible:D

thats it, it's settled. A five string violin bass with that edgy body, two P pickups. DONE

now, how do I explain this to my financial planner :help:

15. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Well after reading that thread now I'm not sure again. :meh:

16. sometimes u get the bad apples, and sometimes u get the good ones.

perhaps u got the good one :D ?

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I play bass in a Beatles trib band, and own a "real"(German) Hofner, but for shows we fly to, I have a Brice violin bass from Rondo. Plays/sounds great.

18. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you can't afford a real Hofner, get a Jay Turser. They look like Paul's bass and are much cheaper and better put together than a Hofner Icon.

19. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    If you want the "Beatles" sound, I'd go with the Hofner. I just like violin basses myself:smug:

20. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Well, I think the Brownsville is out of the question, considering it's no longer on the website.:eyebrow: