Violin vs Gamba corners

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fovea1959, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fovea1959

fovea1959

Feb 10, 2009
    Midwest
    For a jazz person (I *own* a bow, but it's mostly used for tuning and intonation practice), why would I care if I bought the same model bass with Gamba corners or violin corners?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The thing that the guy building my bass, Jed Kriegel, told me is this - the vibrating plate on the top and back of the bass stops very close to the edges of each and in order to stabilize the C bouts in the ribs, there needs to be a small, solid block of wood in each "corner" (if you will) and on a gamba corner those little blocks impinge slightly on the vibrating plate. But with a violin corner (and I guess for busetto corners as well) there's room in that little extension to put the block in outside of the vibrating area.Sounded good to me, so I went with violin corners.
    It makes more sense when you have the bass in front of you....

Michal Herman, tonequixote and Mktrat like this.
  3. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    On a big bass, gamba is better for german bow. Also corners are more fragile.

csrund likes this.
  4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Violin corners make good handles

RRR, Cheez, Space Pickle and 5 others like this.
  5. This issue is discussed up to 10 times a year. Pear shaped double bass bass will save from doubt!

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I think the pear shaped bass would be very difficult to pick up when laying it down on its side.

RRR and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  7. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    If you're not big enough to palm it like a basketball, you should play cello.

Just kidding. Actually, that's a real problem- Seth Kimmel makes his with soundports on the sides that are reinforced so you can pick the bass up with them too. I don't know what others do.

Maple, Cheez and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  8. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    With intention, grace, and an unhurried attitude, The neck and tailpiece are two good handles.

tonequixote and Sam Sherry like this.
  9. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Unfortunately I am usually in a hurry and always clumsy.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My view is that buying a bass is hard enough without adding more restrictions that limit the candidate pool. For this reason, I wouldn't rule out either corner style, even though I have a slight preference for violin corners just for aesthetics.

eh_train likes this.
  11. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    My ideal is violin corners on top, busseto on the bottom. Just an aesthetic preference...

12. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I use the bass side lower backplate violin corner for balancing my bass while playing. I haven`t tried that with a similar sized ( big ) gamba bass, so I can`t tell if it makes any difference.

RRR likes this.
  13. I prefer gamba because i’m always bumping things.

Off topic: Does anyone make a gamba style cello or violin?

DonaldFraser likes this.
  14. +1 for gamba. I just prefer the cleaner look.

15. oldNewbie

oldNewbie Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    +1 gamba . My inner klutz got the rest of me gored one day. Not again. Also, it's just me but the only violin cornered basses I've ever played have been heavier and harder to get to speak , though admittedly with the good stuff (volume, bottom end) that accompanies. But again, most likely just not random samples. And as noted, lack of motor skills.

DonaldFraser likes this.
  16. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I prefer violin corners, but its one of the last things I would buy a bass for.