Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pea-NUT, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I need some info. I have a violin. Just got it last sunday. Anyone on here play, how long, and how did they get started. I heard its the hardest instrument to learn with the exception to 56 stringed basses. I want to play, ive been trying scales, i know how the are tuned..i had to tune it. Would a mandolin help me. They are both tuned the same and are very similiar. Thank you.
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've been playing violins and violas since i was 5. The hardest thing about it is intonation at first, then you'll have a life long struggle with the bowing technique. Getting a decent sound can be very hard at first. A mandolin could help you to get to know your way around the fretboard, get familiar with the tuning and so on, but it will not help your technique. I really would suggest a teacher, you make so many mistakes starting out, and you don't want to get stuck with them. Good luck, it's an amazinbg instrument!
    1954bassman likes this.
  3. .....for 8 years, and kept playing sporadically for the next 40. violin is my first love. I'm not real skilled at it, but I think I can coax out a pretty good tone.

For a novice fiddler, I'd say once you get the finger patterns and bowing, the most important thing is tone.

Right hand bow pressure is important. Too hard and the bow will "rasp" on the strings; too soft and it'll slip without making 'em vibrate right. Practice drawing that bow across the string in long, slow sweeps, while trying to pull out the sweetest sounds possible.

Vibrato helps with tone quality too: anchor a finger solidly on the note and rock your whole forearm in and out rapidly. The resulting rocking of the finger on the string will create tiny variations in pitch that enhance the tone.

Just remember, with only 12.75 inches from nut to bridge, intervals between notes on a violin are just over 1/3 of those on a full sized bass guitar. (Trying to keep it relavant to bass.) ;) ;)

There you have it, 50 years of fiddling in a nutshell.:D
  4. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Well, ive been practicing with long stokes with the bow to get the best sound possible for like a week. not vigorous...but everyday to everyother day.....
    Its going to take a long time...but im ready for it. Im gonna see if this guy will teach me...there are alot of fiddle players around here.
  5. bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Revising an old thread ,
    I'm wondering if viola might be a little easier for a DB player to pick up ?
  6. bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I don't bow so viola would be hard to learn that espect
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I suspect all of the violin family instruments will pose equal challenge. Sure, the viola is bigger, but if you think a person with big hands can't play a little violin, check out YouTube videos of Itzhak Perlman.

I think the best route to get you past the potentially frustrating beginner stages is via a teacher.
    bobsax likes this.