Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

virgin

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DiegoMcgee, Dec 6, 2001.

1. DiegoMcgee

DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    I've never really used effects on my bass.
    I play in a power trio pop thing were my bass
    carries alot of the melody.I'm hoping live that
    using an effect here and there will add to
    different parts. I'm really not in need of
    distortion at this time. If I am building a
    pedal board($over time$) which pedal/brands
    would be best for my needs? I plan on
    purchasing my first pedal(s) this weekend,
    any suggestions.

2. Go to the store and get to try a few pedals, maybe delay would be good for you, overdrive works great for me (I love the extra punch) :), I don't think distortion should be used on bass, it's something guitarists use to cover their mistakes. Maybe a wow pedal would be good. Just try some things out, you'll find something you like.

3. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Well I've recently gone away from effects and pedals. I used to have a fair number in my arsenal, but became tired of them - too many batteries, cords, set-up, and tone sucking! :D
    But, I digress.......When I did use them I found some EH stuff was good(bassballs, bass synth, etc...), one of the best phasers was the MXR phase 90(deep and rich), I know anything by z-vex is good, unfortunately the only "bass" oriented effect is the Wooly Mammoth, but I think it would kill and could provide really great fuzz options without sucking out the bass. I think a lot of it will depend on you and your ears, though. Try anything and everything out once, IMO. Have fun and watch out (effect purchases can become addictive)!

4. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Try Flanger, a Chorus, and a Tremelo.

Flanger is good for contrast during solos and intros and such.
    Chorus is great for fattening up sonically sparse sections.
    Tremelo is a cool rhythmic thing to mess around with.

I've also been using a lot of delay lately, but more on my own stuff than in the context of my band.

5. The SansAmp BDDI is a great weapon to have in your effects arsonal, great effective warm overdrive and DI great for boost. The EH Bass Micro Synth is great for synthesized bass sounds, but if your not into the classics I'd go for the Boss Bass synth. It's pretty basic once get the Idea that all the sounds are presets and the controls just comand your paremeters, good if your not a gearhead. Run that into a tremolo that can adjust its wave shape like the Lovetone Wobulator.

I would definately recomend you look at the <a href="http://www.lovetone.com">Lovetone</a> effects, very cool.

6. DiegoMcgee

DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    Thanks for the help.
    I ended up going with a Boss Chorus pedal,
    I like how the chorus sounded with a little delay
    on it so I'll probably pick up a delay soon too.
    I really like the synth stuff but have no use for
    it with the style I play.