1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Virginia Teacher Suspended for Painting With Butt

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by disenchant, Dec 13, 2006.

1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    From
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236201,00.html

RICHMOND, Va. — A Virginia school district has suspended an art teacher who they say may be setting a bad example for students with his own extracurricular activity — butt painting.

Stephen Murmer, a self-described "butt-printing artist," was placed on administrative leave Friday by the Chesterfield County school district.

Going by the name Stan Murmur, the teacher sells floral and abstract paintings that he calls "anthropometric monotypes" created by plastering his rump and genitals in paint and pressing them against a canvas. His paintings sell online for upwards of $900.

"I am certainly proud of the ass painting," Stan Murmur said on a "Unscrewed With Martin Sargent" clip downloaded by FOXNews.com Wednesday on YouTube. "I do have a real job where I do have real clients, and I don't think they'd be too understanding if I was also the guy that painted with my ass."

In the clip, Murmur appeared wearing only a black thong and "Groucho" glasses to demonstrate a style of painting he learned in college.

"I followed a girlfriend into a painting and printmaking class," he told host Sargent in the clip. "We had an assignment where we had to create an organic stamping object, bring it in as a print and display it to the class. I chose my ass as that object."

Murmer is known as a popular, joke-cracking art teacher at Monacan High School in Virginia.

Chesterfield County schools spokeswoman Debra Marlow says school system regulations state that teachers must set an example for students through their personal conduct.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia says the suspension goes against Murmer's First Amendment rights.

FOXNews.com's Sara Bonisteel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

That's...asinine? :rollno:

I'm really not sure how to feel about this.

2. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    he's doing outside of school?

I agree with the ACLU.

3. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Wait...he wasn't doing this at school? If he wasn't, it's not illegal to paint with your ass or nads as long as it's done in private. The district was way out of line on this one.

However, if he was encouraging the kids to do it or doing it on school time, well the former would only garner a talking to and I can see the latter being grounds for suspension.

As much as I hate to say it, the ACLU (Because I despise to ACLU) is doing right by defending him.

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    "In the clip, Murmur appeared wearing only a black thong and "Groucho" glasses to demonstrate a style of painting he learned in college."

I also learned that in college but it had nothing to do with painting :ninja:

Seriously, if the dude wants to paint with his ass God love him and his pooey art but there is no call for that in public schools.

If i was an active supporter of bestiality in my off hours, I should be not allowed to teach, whether or not I mentioned it at school. If he is doing this in the privacy of his own home thats one thing but if he is a "public" butt artist then we may have some problems.

What a s**ty teacher :D

5. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Your wit Jady, is as sharp as a butter knife. :D

Only kidding.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yeah, outside of school is fine. And setting a "bad example"? I wouldn't care if one of my kids decided they wanted to paint with their ass as long as they were willing to clean up the mess.

7. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hey, I took the obvious poo joke, so sue me.

8. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Are ya worth anything?
    Risk vs. Reward ya know. lol

9. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Back to butt brushes and penile pencils.
    Gotta have balls to do his kind of art.

10. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Not worth the virtual paper i'm posting on my friend.

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA

butt +2
    penile +3
    balls +2

a score of 7 on that post, not bad :hyper:

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Heh, I personally think it's hilarious. If the students at his high school didn't already disrespect him, they will now :).

13. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Thanks. I pulled it outta my ass.

Don't worry, I'm not worth much either. I feel your pain...deep in the heart of my bottom.

Someone stop me. HAH!

14. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Wanderer, I bow to my punny master!!!!

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Well now, bestiality does not equal butt painting....

ACLU is right to protest this, but there is no doubt that he has put his employer in a tough spot. Some parents will protest, some students will act out, there will be community chit chat etc.

Rule of law and democracy is sometimes messy. Here's a good example.

I'd like to hear from some of our teachers on this forum...

16. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    just like to add, I whole-heartedly agree this should not be done in school. That give legitimate cause for suspension.

I have a teacher friend who was once asked to drive further away from school if he wanted to buy beer. In case the students saw him.

17. I wouldn't have a problem if the teacher was female, good looking and in her 20s.

;) :bag:

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    [​IMG]

That was my Vice Principal freshmen year of High School. He was promptly fired. There are *other* photos that can't be shown on TB :).

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Glad somebody's thinking.

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I forgot to mention it was a Catholic High School.