virtual amp for laptop

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jul 6, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    k ill tell you what i want and lets see if anyone can tell me this is possible. All i really want is a way to plug my bass more or less directly into my laptop. Im gonna be without a amp for the next 6 monthes so i want something to play it through so i can hear myself. Is it as easy as getting a quarter inch to mini plug adapter so i can plug into the mic input on my soundcard. My background tells me itd probably work but sound alot better with some sort of preamp. Is there anything cheap and small that i could get that would be more or less give me at least one bass amp tone, and possibly be recordable. Is that line 6 guitar port an option, and if so who has one?
  2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I can not help you use your laptop.

I can help you play your bass into headphones.

Korg's Pandora's Box PX4B is what I use. It has effects, and drum like patterns so you can practice lines without the need of a cd player:

You can plug computer speakers up to these type of units also.

You can find reviews of stuff like this here:
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    To play along with a cd, you can put the cd and the bass into a mixer like this:

Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer

I have a Bass Trainer as linked below, but it has stopped working for the second time, and I do not like it enough to get it fixed again, so I no longer recommend it. If it worked and worked well, it would be wonderful:

CD-BT1 Portable CD Bass Trainer

I also use an Akai Riff-o-matic, that does not seem to be made anymore, but they still make these:

Hey, I just checked ebay and there are two akai riff-o-matics for sale right now. I like the ability to adjust the start and end of a passage into a smaller part, then clear those start and end place holders and define a new start and end points of the same part, and I like the freeze button that holds on a note so you can figure out what it is, and then you can step through the notes on the freeze function.