Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Virtual' jazz bass duet mp3

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jan 28, 2006.

1. A friend of mine and brilliant 6-string basssist Alun Vaughan proposed last summer that we try and record a virtual duet via the old interweb - and I thought why not. Alun lives about 250 miles from me (I'm in London) in Wales - so he sent me a file of a jazz blues last September and to cut a long story short I finally got around to mixing it down this morning.

Alun is a pro jazz basisst in his neck of the woods so I really had my work cut out to play a solo that matched his for phrasing and technique etc - he's very very good - so whether or not I totally succeeded the overall vibe is pretty sweet. I'm playing my Jeff Chapman custom fretless 5 and Alun is on his Curbow 6 - have a listen and let me know what you think:

'Five Spot After Dark'
    http://www.munkio.com/music/music_solo.html

Alun is a very talented guy and his website can be found here:
    http://www.alunvaughan.com/

Thanks for checking this out

Cheers

Mike

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    BUMP for Mike and Alun - two great players. :bassist:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    as impressed as ever Mike! Great stuff!

4. Cheers Dave - you are a dude!

See you soon good buddy

M

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mike, I saw this post a few days ago, but I can't get my Quicktime to run ANYTHING at the moment. I'm going to see what I can do to get it fixed so I can give this a listen.

6. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    Thanks David.

Cheers,
    Alun

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mike -- thanks! In the meantime, I'm listening to it on my mac mini, on which I haven't updated QT yet, and hence, do not have any problems with.

EDIT (from the PC): It's sounding great. The mwaaaaaaah on your fretless adds a really neat sound to your comping. Sounds very cool :D.

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Damnit man, you always succeed in impressing me :bruce: , although the thing you posted before this one (made in GB) was a bit 'too much'.

9. Cheers V

M