'Virtual' jazz bass duet mp3

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jan 28, 2006.

1. A friend of mine and brilliant 6-string basssist Alun Vaughan proposed last summer that we try and record a virtual duet via the old interweb - and I thought why not. Alun lives about 250 miles from me (I'm in London) in Wales - so he sent me a file of a jazz blues last September and to cut a long story short I finally got around to mixing it down this morning.

Alun is a pro jazz basisst in his neck of the woods so I really had my work cut out to play a solo that matched his for phrasing and technique etc - he's very very good - so whether or not I totally succeeded the overall vibe is pretty sweet. I'm playing my Jeff Chapman custom fretless 5 and Alun is on his Curbow 6 - have a listen and let me know what you think:

'Five Spot After Dark'

Alun is a very talented guy and his website can be found here:

Thanks for checking this out

2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    BUMP for Mike and Alun - two great players. :bassist:
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    as impressed as ever Mike! Great stuff!
  4. Cheers Dave - you are a dude!

See you soon good buddy

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Mike, I saw this post a few days ago, but I can't get my Quicktime to run ANYTHING at the moment. I'm going to see what I can do to get it fixed so I can give this a listen.
  6. Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    Thanks David.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Mike -- thanks! In the meantime, I'm listening to it on my mac mini, on which I haven't updated QT yet, and hence, do not have any problems with.

EDIT (from the PC): It's sounding great. The mwaaaaaaah on your fretless adds a really neat sound to your comping. Sounds very cool :D.
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Damnit man, you always succeed in impressing me :bruce: , although the thing you posted before this one (made in GB) was a bit 'too much'.
  9. Cheers V