Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Virtual Machine Problems. XP, Talkbass live chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jan 24, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright, as one of my new perks of being a supporting member, i get live chat! right? WRONG. I keep getting this thing saying "Download Java/Microsoft virtual machine" i go to it, and it says i need the update, i read all the legal crap.....and get the update...... and i run it.... and my comp says i have it on my computer..... but everytime i click on "talkbass live chat" it asks if i want to download the virtual machine, and i already i have it? i think? anyway, if i click download it, it just brings me to the update page, and tells me i already have all the updates, which is wrong, the download got cut off. so i can't get them from microshaft, so i got it from somewere else. Now this is happening. i did check to see if i had the things needed for the VM to be installed, i did, and i installed it. So

Like, whats the problem?

I belive this is a problem only to XP users, if i'm not mistaken.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, I don't really remember if a reboot is needed or not. If you didn't reboot yet, try it.

The easiest way of getting a working JVM is by installing the service pack 1, but you can also download the JVM at the ususal download portals:

http://cws.internet.com/ie-msjvm.html

If you download the MS JVM, still do the update thing @ MS in order to get the latest update.

You can also try the Sun JVM, but IMO it doesn't work as good, at least with the chat.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That link is no longer there man, but thanks anyway. guess i'll try the Sun JVM. and yeah, it does need a reboot, but i made sure i did that already. the only way to get it from microsoft now is to use the update page, which i already sad, is SUPER buggy. and it said that i already got the download, even though i didn't, so it's not an option. Ah well. Thanks for your help man.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, this is beyond annoying....
    I get the sun java virtual machine.

I have the virtual machine.

EVERYTIME i click on live chat, it TELLS me i NEED to download "Java virtual machine". and the same CRAP happens again.

Oh god. SOMEONE... ANYONE.

Any ideas?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what browser and version?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. PollyBass