Virtuosity as a relative factor.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    In my opinion a fast thechnique,is really useful for doing well the things at a normal speed.May be that if you play something of very fast,and difficoult,you'll catch the attention of younger guys,you'll get more"visible" for non-musician;but a real Musician will apreciate a bassplayer,for other factors.I am absolutely not saying that technique is an option,but I assume that it is not the real goal,it is only the start point.
    I know a lot of licks,expecially slap licks,but a bass player in the real world is called to do well other things:solid groove,keeping the tempo,choosing the notes and the rythmic patterns that really work well in the song,building a functional bass line that fits well in the music, beautiful sounds,sight reading,a big repertoire of songs and different styles,listening to the others musicians.These are the factors that really matter!When I was 15 I was very into the virtuosity stuff,I judge a bass player only by his technique:now I prefere the things played from Verdine White,or Paul Jackson than Victor Wooten's or Bill Dicken's stuff.I am happy about this.
    Who agree,or disagree with me?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There is a LOT more to virtuosity than playing fast. In fact, that is secondary to all of the other things you listed but apparently don't consider to be elements of virtuosity. Also, sight reading is important. I wouldn't ever call a non-reader a virtuoso.

My example of a virtuoso: Nathan East. He can play it all, has a degree in music. Patitucci, Clarke and that ilk fall in the category too.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...And there's more to virtuosity than being able to sight-read - you're falling into the same extreme here...

Correct me if I'm wrong - <b>Allan Holdsworth</b> can't sight-read, as far as I know, Eddie Van Halen definitely can't...Billy Sheehan can't, and he's definitely a virtuoso...
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    The longer I play bass...the more I appreciate the "groovers"... than the "flashers". :D
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi Ed!
    I just stumbled upon his record 'Voices In the Wind' (w/ Paul Rodgers(!) on vocals, Jaz Lochrie on bass and Toss Panos on drum). I'm probably 1 of 5 people in Germany that have this record:D and it still mesmerizes me!

Unfortunately I don't know what he's doing right now and I only found some links to his old record company. But his bio say he attended Berklee...let me know if it's the same guy:)

6. Bass2222

Sep 22, 2000
    Music is a balancing act. You must always balace what the song calls for and what you want to play in order to make good music. This is espiacially important in the bass because of its supportive role. Viturousity is both the ability to play at a high level and be aware of what is appropriate to play at a high level. Dig, man.