Virtuosity or song writing skill...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Willie Dizon, Sep 12, 2000.

1. I really respect guitarists who can also write good songs.Example:Roy Orbison,Junior Brown,Chris Cornell(even though he is known mostly as Soundgarden's lead singer/solo artist,he is also a good song writer.)There is definitely nothing wrong with possessing technical prowess,but,it is even better if you can write a song that sticks in your head;a melody that won't leave your brain.On that note I also forgot to mention Brian May!!!!
  2. What about BASS PLAYERs that write songs? I'm a lot more impressed with them. (No, Sheryl Crow is not included) It's a lot harder to write a song as a bass player because typically we are thought of in a support role, not as the leader.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I write most (not all, because I don't write everything) of my band's music on my bass. It works fairly well. some songs the bass carries the main melody, others it is just a supporting role.

4. I write all kinds of songs on bsss. It's easy--I have the guitar part playing in my head (or if I'm lucky, I actually have a guitarist there who can make it happen)!! As for guitarists with technical prowess who can also write songs, you can't leave out David Gilmour (is that how you spell it?). EXCELENT guitarist AND songwriter. Hell, he's even an excelent singer!!

Woofy Out!
  5. Couldn't agree with you more. I know this isn't specifically a guitarist but, take a band like R.E.M.

They are obviously proficient players, but don't rely on technical flash to communicate their musical message. Instead they write good, simple, catchy tunes.

Even lyrically. Check out "The One I Love". Aside from a slight change in the last verse, the lyrics to the whole song are:

This one goes out to the one I love
    This one goes out to the one I've left behind
    A simple prop to occupy my time
    This one goes out to the one I love

That's it! And it's a great song!

There's a lot to be said for when and what to play vs. when/what not to.

(Yes, this from a bassist in a chops oriented prog band! :))

6. I hope my fellow bassists didn't think I was leaving out us low end players.Yes, we can write songs i.e.Steve Harris of Iron Maiden(I'm not sure if he's with them anymore,but anyways)I was replying to fav guitarists and realized:1.I put my reply in the wrong thread.2.I probably won't remember every great musician who has had an indelible effect on the musical landscape of our time.3.Even though I might be misunderstood,it's still great to get feedback from other bassists.
    With much respect to everyone,

P.S.Yes David Gilmour has much soul as anyone else I've mentioned(there are just so many greats out there).
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Now, does anyone have any idea what this song is about? I have my theories, but please communicate privately about it...

Will C.:cool:
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX

Of course Steve is still in Maiden, they could not exist without him. :D

9. Hey Sean!!!I'm glad and relieved that Steve Harris is still with Iron Maiden.He can write and play like there's no tomorrow.

10. I used to cover REM's song The One I Love.Mike Mills happens to be one of my influences.He certainly contributes to the songs and adds great vocal harmonies.

To CROZ,I saw the mini-series on TV about the Hitchhikers Guide,love that British humor!!!!!
  11. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois

Now, does anyone have any idea what this song is about? I have my theories, but please communicate privately about it...

Will C.:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Shame on you Will! :eek: :D
  12. Willie, you got to read the books! The movie does it no justice. <p>
    Steve Harris still rocks (He could try a new chord progression every once in awhile, though) <p>
  13. To CROZ,I have read the Hitch hikers guide a little,but I have also heard the audio books on cassette with British "accent" included.I wonder what type of rig the bass player for the band "Disaster Area" might have used?
  14. Umm,Jennifer,were you saying shame to me or was that for someone else?
    Clueless,but not,drifty,
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm thinking a wooden love toy, but then again, could be someone's favorite piece of furniture
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...(a)Steely Dan?
  17. Hey, yeah! They're great songwriters, too!

Ummm... we're not talking about that anymore, are we? :oops:

18. I like the idea of staying dead for tax purposes.
  19. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I was saying shame on you, but maybe I should be saying shame on me! Is my mind that much dirtier than everyone else's?! Would have never thought of it if not for you though! :D
  20. I guess I go off on tangents.Sorry.Steely Dan is awesome;years ago I learned the bass line to "Holy man".Whew!!!What a workout!I knew right away I was out of my league.There is so much to learn and a life time isn't enough to learn it all!