Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by paganinibassist, Jan 1, 2006.

1. paganinibassist

Jul 30, 2005
    Whats a Virtuoso. WHat does it demand to become one. Does it require more than Almost perfection in playing (no one can reallly achieve perfection..even though i view some peoples playing as perfect.),what kind of attitude do you need, something that stands out from others?? Who are the bass virtuosos of our time besides Meyer, Rabbath, and Kar?. How do you know whose a virtuoso and that they are one??
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    If someone's playing moves you musically and not just technically then they are a virtuoso. It's sometimes hard to keep those 2 things seperate when listening to someone play the instrument that you play.
  3. bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    I see where jallenbass is coming from and I agree with his definition to a point, but I think it's a little too broad. I have heard amateurs who have mastered a particular piece and pulled it off both technically and musically at a virtuosic level, but certainly were nowhere near the level of of being a virtuoso on the whole.

My definition would be someone has complete command/mastery over their instrument.

More precisely, this is a person who can play any piece of music in their genre and some others with near perfection both techinically and musically and sound almost effortless in the process.