Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Virus Hoaxes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 17, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I got this in my email from hotmail. I thought it made for an interesting read. Granted alot of its common sense stuff. But Im sure there are some people out there who have no idea that its false. Some of you even send me some of these hoax emails. So I thought Id post this just as a FYI kinda deal.

Virus Hoaxes, Click Here

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got that email too. Its bad enough the cyber world has to worry about hackers and actual viruses. Now we got people making hoaxes and fake viruses :rolleyes:

How can people actually get some entertainment or satisfaction from potentially destroying a total stranger's computer....?

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    im sure symantic and mcafee don't mind a bit.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to email a friend the words "GOOD TIMES" every few months. Even the 10th time it was good for a laugh. :)

5. It may just be me but I think a lot of the virus companies have on staff people creating a lot of the viruses.
    Some of them are just a little to extreme for someone with nothing better to do.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  7. And you view.
    Seems to work, we have installed it for lots of customers that need free antivirus. The only problem I have had is that some viruses are to much for the software.
    In that case we will uninstall it, use some sort of tool to fix the problem usually from www.ca.com
    and then put the AVG www.grisoft.com back on.
    Most viruses seem to target Norton, Mcafee, and AVG so they must be pretty popular. All and all it seems to do a pretty good job. Autoupdates, email.

I usually stay away from Norton and Mcafee only because I got sick of Norton slowing down machines and Mcafees cures revolving around buying a new version of their software.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I've been recommending it as Norton and McAfee don't really seem worth the money in comparison. good to hear that someone who knows what they are doing uses it.

9. Just because I get paid for knowing what am doing doesn't mean I do. Good posture and a smile will let you get away with a lot. :D

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Then we have the same M.O.

11. I use AVG, and think it's great. doesn't slow things down much at all.....

and for the hoaxes.....whenever you get an email warning you of a 'virus', no matter how plausible, check out urbanlegends website. they've got people who look into all the email hoaxes. they'll have usually 3 or 4 versions of one email (different mutations,variants) and a clear explanation of why it isn't a threat, or why it IS a threat, which, of course, is rare.