Virus owned my pc :/

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, May 4, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yo, a virus has owned my pc so I wont be around for some time - I'm at a mates at the moment.

Basically, all yesterday it kept on crashing out. Then I went on a game, and it paused, so I restarted it yet again. However, this time it didnt fully load, and paused on a black screen saying 'Warning: An illegal version of windows license has been detected, your license has been revoked', and nothing works form there.

Anyway, I contacted my bro' in law (pc guru) and from what I've told him he said its a 'nimda' virus, some kind of trojan worm thing (??) and to download a virus killer onto a disc, boot up the disc and it should get rid of the virus.

My question is, where can I get hold of one of these virus killer things please? Reply on here and ill check back tomorow.

Thanks a lot for the help, hopefully be back online n regular posting soon ;)
  2. It depends on what virus you have and what kind of anti-virus software you have. I had a virus called W32.Nimda.enc which you get randomly through a computer network system. I emailed my anti-virus software company and told them what I have and I am expecting a email back from them soon with a prorgram for me to get rid of it. I am not too sure what to do in your case because you can't get onto your computer to see what you got.

good luck.
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi again

I can confirm nowt hat my pcs dead. Nothing will work, apparantly the virus has chewed through the 'boot sector' so wont let us reformat it.

The only hope is a 'ghost cd' that my brother in law made which redoes the whole pc to its original state, but sdaly, I'm sure my mates borrowed it in mistake of a photoshop cd that I said he couldnt borrow, so if thats the case my chances of getting it back are slim :mad:

We've narrowed down the cause opf the virus to my mate downloading a hotmail attachment: Whilst at a freinds he was on his email and a message appeared saying 'this attachment contains a virus, do not download' and I told him that. He replied 'it's ok, I've downloaded it before' (at my friggin' house for gods sake I bet :mad: ).

Anyway, I'll only be online during college ie monday, wednesday, thursday and friday. Man, I'm pi**ed off at whoever made that virus/downloaded it
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That happened to me last week. I ran through a program on the web (can't remember the name, though) that diagnosed my computer as having 11 virus', one of which attacked my Norton Anti-Virus!:eek::mad:

My brother, who's an IT tech, took my laptop home with him for a day and imaged my machine. Then I got a brand new operating system and everything's completely wiped out. I got the latest version of Norton and bought a software firewall last night.

I'm not going through that crap again!:rolleyes:
  5. It's not going to help you if your computer can't access the internet but Trend Micro offers a free online virus killer called House Call. Look under the free tools and you don't have to register. Saved my bacon a few times.
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    people who make viruses are pathetic people who do not have a life.
  7. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Arrg this is crap. I've gone from thursday daytime until now minus the internet/talkbass :p

Whats worse is that theres only 4 pcs I can use at college as the rest are in the library where the IT staff are, having software that alerts them whenever a message board is loaded up (aswell as other sites), resulting in eviction.

Anywya, I've posted my PC off to my brother in law to have it mended, hopefully it'll be home in a week or two :bawl:
  8. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeah I tried a similar tool a week ago, but no luck as the dic drive wont work (virus has kileld the 'boot sector' according to my stepdad who attempted to mend it). I cant do it through windows either as it won't load past a black warning screen.

Thanks anyway!
  9. Ouch, nasty...what OS are you using? (he says, gloating that he now mainly uses Linux :))
  10. glad you only lose data...I lost my BIOS :mad: a couple of years back to an infamous disease called CIH. This was a real killer virus. Lesson learned: always use F-Secure, always update the virus definitions once a week. I've had tons of different virii on cd's and floppys, but my box has stayed somewhat clean... *knocks on wood*
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    *does the "there-are-no-significant-viruses-on-Mac-OS-X" dance*

:p :smug:
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    As a fellow OSX user, may I have this dance with you?:D
  13. Wow, someone else who knows the proper plural for 'virus'.